Surprise, well at least I was

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was expecting to get about 20# of blueberries this week and I wasn't expecting to see them until about friday. Well my pops stoped by today and there in his trucks back seat was 20# of BLACKBERRIES, my jaw hit the ground. Here I am expecting to make some blueberry wine and only 1# of blueberries show up (he decided to keep most of the blueberries) but surprise there is blackberries. So this is what I am thinking,

20# blackberries being froze now, will give them a couple of days to get frozen then take the out and wash them and put them in the fruit bag. Mash them up in the bag real good add enough boiling water to kill off any unwated things. Let it cool and take a SG reading, and add petic enzyme and let it sit 24-48 hours. While I am waiting I will get enough water guestimate to make up a full 2 gallons + a little and get the yeast going. I will add the starter to the mix after the waiting period and take another quick SG to see that I am where I want to be, somewhere around 1.08-1.09 is what I will be shooting for.

Oh I will get an acid reading as well since I now have a test kit. I am assuming that it should be around the same as what the blueberries should be, .55-.65?

Is there something that I am missing, Remember before you add k-meta to the list that I don't use it.

Do you use nutrient nd energizer? .55 -.70 is the range for acid but ore imporatnt is the ph if you have the means to adjust that. The 2 of them in range together is the best but ph is more important then acidity.

Yeah I got both and use both of them, just forgot to add them to the list of things to add with the petic enzyme. How or better yet what is the best way to adjust the pH. I know a calcium soruce will bring it up but what about down?

Wow! The only thing better than someone bringing you berries picked,,,
is fish that are already cleaned.

You scored big time!

Since you mentioned fish, he has his annual great lakes trip comming up towards the end of the month. He always brings me at least one cleaned salmon if not two.

Wow! The only thing better than someone bringing you berries picked,,,
is fish that are already cleaned.

You scored big time!

or wine that is already bottled :p

sounds like you could almost make 5 gallons. i would get ~3-5# more, depending on fruit quality and go with 5 gallons.

Need some advice,
I have 10# of blackberries left, (dont ask what happened remember women are always correct) and 1/2 gallon of blueberry juice. Along with that I also have 5# of blueberry honey. SOOOOO what to do????

I was thinking a 3 gallon batch of blackberry/blueberry mead, or maybe a 1 gallon blueberry mead and a 2 gallon blackbery wine. Any suggestions???

That blueberry/blackberry mead sounds great!
When I was a kid, we could find blueberrys growing wild, but those days are really gone for good. We also could find huckleberries too.

Back