Sure way to test for clarity of wine to bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloricky

Reaction score
Is there a sure way to test for clarity so you know exactly when to bottle?

I am very new at this and have read different things on the forum but I am still confused on this. Thanks

I just bulk age mine for a year or more and by that time you can read a newspaper, or in this case a magazine, through it.

IMG_1534.jpg

If it looks like summersolstice' picture, I would say it's ready to bottle.

And one other determining factor would be if you need your carboy for the next batch. :r

I use a laser light. It will penetrate even the thick reds. Whites may look clear but when hit with the laser, it will pick up small floating bits of stuff that may make you want to wait a bit longer before bottling.

After a year of aging.. yes.. you can be assured all your solids have dropped out of the wine and it will be pure and clear..

Quite a few people here don't bulk age.... or.. they don't have the equipment spare to bulk age.. or... are new like yourself and panicking about the wine spoiling if they don't get the wine in the bottle, according to the most recent " I should do this' manual. If you think it's not quite clear.. leave it a bit longer..

leaving it a bit longer is preferable to having the wine throw a deposit in the bottle, however if that happens, you can always decant the bottles before serving.

Allie

Back