Sur Lie (Lees Aging)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this paragraph to be interesting:

The presence of mannoproteins is also crucial for white wines like Chardonnay that go through malolactic fermentation, where the malic acid in a wine converts to lactic acid and creates a buttery or creamy taste. The malolactic bacteria eat the mannoproteins, aiding the process.

I have not intentionally done MLF, but I'm thinking I need to. Note that I'm doing a lesser version of sur lie for reds.

I'm wondering what actually constitutes the "sur lies" ? Would it be after the first racking, post fermentation completion??

I'm wondering what actually constitutes the "sur lies" ? Would it be after the first racking, post fermentation completion??
Figuring out the dividing line between gross lees (fruit solids) and fine lees (yeast hulls) is the key point. At some points I've thought I could identify the differences -- the gross lees seems "sludge-ier", but I'm not confident of that.

I've read in numerous sources that gross lees drop within 24 to 72 hours of the end of active fermentation. Assuming that is correct, rack 3 days after the end of fermentation, and anything that drops after that is fine lees.

Videos I've seen of sur lie show a thick layer of fine lees, but I have to consider that I make 5 to 15 gallon batches -- professional are making hundreds of gallons (or more) in a single batch, so the lees may appear thicker.

Anyone doing EM or following the FWK protocol (ferment to below 1.020, seal fermenter until day 14) will have lost a good portion of the fine lees at the first racking.

The next consideration is red vs. white. Whites don't undergo EM, so there's no reason to not rack 3 days after fermentation ends, and then not rack again for 3 to 12 months.

Reds can benefit from sur lie, but the aspects produced by sur lie are less prominent in the heavier red flavors. So it's a trade-off of EM vs. sur lie. It might make sense to split a batch -- do EM with 1/2 and sur lie with the other. Bottle 2/3 of each batch alone, and blend the remaining 1/3 of each to see how the 3 wines compare.

Latest posts

Back