Sur Lee Aging with Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
What are the opinions on Sur Lee aging meads?

I have a few barrels coming next month and I plan on making a few different styles of mead I have been working on for the last half year. I am thinking about Sur Lee aging some of them. I kind of feel that it would help with a Show Mead and Bochet I plan on making. I also plan on making an Acerglyn, but my feelings are Sur Lee aging would distract from that.

What do you think?

I think the biggest pitfall would be taking it too far, and ending up with bready flavors. But i think it could be beneficial if you think your can manage it properly and get more nutty, honey and spicy profiles.

I am interested in trying it out as well, but my knowledge of how to properly babysit it is limited. So if you know of any guides on the subject matter, please do share.

I would do a micro batch test run of a trad mead so you can focus on how it develops

I think the biggest pitfall would be taking it too far, and ending up with bready flavors. But i think it could be beneficial if you think your can manage it properly and get more nutty, honey and spicy profiles.

I am interested in trying it out as well, but my knowledge of how to properly babysit it is limited. So if you know of any guides on the subject matter, please do share.

I would do a micro batch test run of a trad mead so you can focus on how it develops
Bread flavors in a Show Mead & Acerglyn is what I am concerned about as well, however I feel it would work with a Bochet. That being said, the Show Mead I am doing will be aged in a Frankenstein barrel with Acacia sides and oak heads, so that could help with keeping the bread flavors at bay.

Back