Supposed vinometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian1042

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to wine making. To save everyone's time and effort, I will state that I shall be getting a hydrometer and will in future take the SG at start and end.

Anyway, I bought something that I thought looked quite nice and would allow me to estimate the alcohol in my wine. It is as shown in the pic. I also have a pamphlet with tables. The top row starts at zero and continues across many tables to 100. I am assuming this is % proof, which we no longer us in the UK. The first column on the left for each table goes from zero to 40. The body contains all sorts of numbers to one decimal place.These go from zero to 100. I think this is degrees C as his is stated at the top of the column. Whit it would need to go to 100 I do not know. Anyway, I have attached copied of the first two pages.

The instructions that came are in Chinese. There are instructions at the listing in English. These read as follows and leave me baffled. I contacted the supplier but with no rel help forthcoming.

How to use:
Alcohol meter must be cleaned and dry before use , (cleaned with soap or alcohol).
after clean the alcohol meter, hand can not take in engraved line portion, you should gently with your index finger and thumb hold the dry tube top.
Must be cleaned graduated cylinder to avoid affecting the readings.
If you find indexing position paper, glass cracks, surface grime attached and can not be removed, the alcohol count must immediately stop using .
Measuring method:
The alcohol was poured into a graduated cylinder 250ML, be careful not to pour too full, then put a thermometer and alcohol meter (upside down) vertically into the cylinder and don't stick the cylinder wall, wait a moment.
Eyes flat as the temperature and alcohol, by "alcohol meter temperature concentration conversion table", then find the standard (alcohol content of 20 ℃).

I used the equipment on some bought bottled wine indicted to be 12.1%. The tube rated zero to 40 floats in this and the level at the surface reads 8. The bit of paper inside stayed at the bottom. The other two tubes have scales of 40 - 70 and 70 - 100. The final piece of kit is a thermometer.
Vinometer set.jpg Table 1.jpg Table2.jpg
Does anyone have any experience of using this kit please? What should I do to make this kit work?

Thank you.

It certainly appears to be a set of three hydrometers, probably for different ranges. It is made for measuring distilled spirits, and I think the assumption is that you only have water and ethanol in the liquid. You won't be able to tell your ABV for your wine from this without knowing starting and ending densities.

Here is a slightly more detailed description from ebay.co.uk: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Pcs-Hyd...th-one-Thermometer-Gadget-SetHA-/132791997803

Usage: Mainly measure liquor Alcohol Percentage
Specifications:
Brand new
Includes four pieces (three alcohol meter, one thermometer);
Can be measured wine range: 0-100 degrees, the minimum scale: 1 degree;
0-40 degrees, 40-70 degrees, 70-100 alcohol count, 0-50 degree thermometer
Length: 20cm, 14.7 cm;
Supplied alcohol meter temperature concentration conversion table
How to use:
Alcohol meter must be cleaned and dry before use , (cleaned with soap or alcohol).
after clean the alcohol meter, hand can not take in engraved line portion, you should gently with your index finger and thumb hold the dry tube top.
Must be cleaned graduated cylinder to avoid affecting the readings.
If you find indexing position paper, glass cracks, surface grime attached and can not be removed, the alcohol count must immediately stop using .
Measuring method:
The alcohol was poured into a graduated cylinder 250ML, be careful not to pour too full, then put a thermometer
and alcohol meter (upside down) vertically into the cylinder and don't stick the cylinder wall, wait a moment.
Eyes flat as the temperature and alcohol, by "alcohol meter temperature concentration conversion table",
then find the standard (alcohol content of 20 ℃).
Notice:
• It's mainly used for white wine meter measurement, wine is not recommended to use this measure
• The white wine temperature at 20 degrees, measurement results are most accurate
• Don't have distilled wine can not be measured! !

Package: 4pcs/set in one box (3pcs x alcohol meter, 1pc x thermometer)

It certainly appears to be a set of three hydrometers, probably for different ranges. It is made for measuring distilled spirits, and I think the assumption is that you only have water and ethanol in the liquid. You won't be able to tell your ABV for your wine from this without knowing starting and ending densities.

Here is a slightly more detailed description from ebay.co.uk: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Pcs-Hyd...th-one-Thermometer-Gadget-SetHA-/132791997803

Thanks for trying.

Latest posts

Back