Supermarket juice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill1954

Junior
Reaction score
I bought 2 litres of Orange juice from Lidls made from concentrate. Does anyone know if it contains preservatives?

You have the label there so read it. Can't do that for you. Any form of Sorbate would be the biggest issue.

In general supermarket juices that are not frozen are 1) Watered down and not concentrated enough for wine making and 2) Apt to contain preservatives that will slow or prevent a fermentation. It can be done, but, the results are generally less than really good - If it ferments it will have alcohol and it will sorta taste like a fruit wine but typically weak. Your results may very.

Better results come from using a juice concentrate and NOT adding the full amount of water recommended on the label, (Go 1/4 to 1/3 less water) Sadly other than orange, lemon and grape juice, concentrates are going away as makers and grocers see the opportunity to increase profits since those bottles don't require refrigeration and the juice can be ever so slightly watered down (even just 1-3%) and that increases profits.

I once made an orange juice wine using a product called Simply Orange. Label says not from concentrate and no preservatives. I did add some water, it was good and I do want to try it again with changes.

Last edited:
It is typical that a retail juice is pasteurized and does not have sorbate. It is typical that small/ local producers will add sorbate to apple juice. Legally the product has to have a label which lists what is in your specific bottle.
@Scooter68 notes that filtered water is the number one ingredient on a label. Water is cheap/ “free” so we will dilute to get the acid flavors at a pleasing level. Expect that you will need to add complex yeast nutrient (ex Fermaid K) to get enough micronutrients for a good fermentation. Also the sugar is at a table beverage level so it might make 3 to 6% alcohol and will take extra sugar to make 11% alcohol wine.
YUP your juice will ferment and make a wine. I would consider fermenting and then back sweetening with frozen concentrate to increase the fruity aroma, There are several clear color apple and pear concentrates that that are 100% juice (no added sugar). Back sweetening with orange concentrate will add solids/ turbidity.
I bought 2 litres of Orange juice from Lidls made from concentrate. Does anyone know if it contains preservatives?

Latest posts

Back