RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@dswendell How does your Super Tuscan look/smell/taste? Mine is still in primary but starting to slow down (day 10). I'm going to EM this batch for a few more weeks.

All in all pretty good! Got down to .995sg. Had quite a bit of head space, I had to use about 1.5-2 liters of wine at clearing to fillup the carboy. Going to rack every few months and it’s let it sit awhile.

The good thing about topping up with wine is it's not going anywhere. You still get to drink it. I use to cringe at pouring that wine in the carboy but have learned a couple of things. 1st, I have become more skilled at racking and learned a few tricks here for getting more of that wine back. 2nd, I made a few batches of cheaper kits earlier this year (my quarantine coping method) and use them for topping up and drinking (my other quarantine coping method).
Did you fill the water to the 23L mark before you added the skin packs?

The good thing about topping up with wine is it's not going anywhere. You still get to drink it. I use to cringe at pouring that wine in the carboy but have learned a couple of things. 1st, I have become more skilled at racking and learned a few tricks here for getting more of that wine back. 2nd, I made a few batches of cheaper kits earlier this year (my quarantine coping method) and use them for topping up and drinking (my other quarantine coping method).
Did you fill the water to the 23L mark before you added the skin packs?

Yeah pretty much, my primary is measured at 6gal, 22.7L. I’m pretty sure I just left more sediment juice behind this time around. I’m not too concerned, usually I only have one bottle or so of head space left at clearing. But as you said, I’ll still be able to drink it! Haha

Latest posts

Back