RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first sent an email to Northern Brewer where I purchased the kit. They responded by saying the company, Master Vintner, is primarily in charge of naming these kits, and we get them in as is, and I apologize if this doesn't entirely answer your questions. However, in regards to the source of the grapes, I would go with the country of origin label as opposed to the name.

I've tried to find a way to contact Master Vintner but so far been unsuccessful.View attachment 65324
Just did a Nebbiolo from them. Country of origin is Italy.

Anyone have a Mosti kit on hand? I'm betting the "Country of Origin" sticker looks just like the one pictured above by JohnW.
Just did a Meglioli Nebbiolo. Country of origin for the juice is Italy.

ot defending MV on this, but I think they mean the kit is a "California Style" pinot noir as opposed to a Burgundy. As every pinot noir I have had (other then Burgundy's) has been the same lighter style wine I have never considered them California Style.
I have done WE Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir and it's definitely different from their Pinot Noir from Chile and New Zeeland, darker and fruitier. I expect the origin to be the same as in the name. Otherwise the word "style" should be in the name.
these dudes would be on my fraudulent sellers list
And mine!

Just did a Meglioli Nebbiolo. Country of origin for the juice is Italy.
Did the label look like the one on JohnW's kit? If so, it would confirm that his Pinot is a Mosti kit, re-boxed as a Master Vintner.

Got my RJS Super Tuscan kit today. Two bags of wet skins, two bags of oak chip, sulphite and sorbate in seperate packs, 1118 yeast, the usual clearing agents and something called Pectinase. This is my first En Primeur kit so I'm excited. The Pectinase is new to me. The instructions say to add it at secondary fermentation. I'm going to EM this so should I wait until that's done to add the Pectinase?

Anyone have a Mosti kit on hand? I'm betting the "Country of Origin" sticker looks just like the one pictured above by JohnW.
I suspect your are correct. The only suppliers that carry these kits are Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply. I did get a good deal on the kit and fortunately it is looking (well tasting) good. I've done a few kits through the years and ready to move on to fresh juice but if i do buy any more kits it won't be from MV.

Got my RJS Super Tuscan kit today. Two bags of wet skins, two bags of oak chip, sulphite and sorbate in seperate packs, 1118 yeast, the usual clearing agents and something called Pectinase. This is my first En Primeur kit so I'm excited. The Pectinase is new to me. The instructions say to add it at secondary fermentation. I'm going to EM this so should I wait until that's done to add the Pectinase?
Here is what I found about it:

The function of pectinase in brewing is twofold, first it helps break down the plant (typically fruit) material and so helps the extraction of flavours from the mash. Secondly the presence of pectin in finished wine causes a haze or slight cloudiness.
Based on this I would add it per the directions. One more thing - I always swap out the 1118 yeast for a strain that is more specific to the wine style i am making. Nothing wrong with using 1118 (and it is really fast-acting) but I prefer using something like BM4x4 or BM45. MoreWine has an excellent article called Yeast & Grape Paring in case you are interested.

As stated above, pectic enzymes have different uses in winemaking. Added immediately after crushing your fruit / grapes, it serves to help break the fruit down, increasing the extraction of all of the goodies that you want from your fruit during the process of fermentation. This will increase the extraction of color, body, tannins, etc. We use plain old pectic enzymes for this function, as well as some others that have been crafted to dramatically increase the effectiveness of the breakdown process, products like Lallzyme EX, Lallzyme EX-V, and others.

Added later in the process, as yours is, after the fruit has already been removed, it serves as more of a clearing agent, helping to remove pectin from fruits that have a high pectin content. The pectic enzyme breaks the pectins down so they come out of solution and settle to the bottom of your vessel with the other sediments. One of the nice things about pectic enzyme at this stage, is that you really can't overdose with it, any that doesn't get used in the pectin breakdown process just settles out with the rest of the sediment.

I suspect your are correct. The only suppliers that carry these kits are Northern Brewer and Midwest Supply. I did get a good deal on the kit and fortunately it is looking (well tasting) good. I've done a few kits through the years and ready to move on to fresh juice but if i do buy any more kits it won't be from MV.
It should be good, as are most Mosti kits. I just don't get why they're re-branding them as MV.

It should be good, as are most Mosti kits. I just don't get why they're re-branding them as MV.
I do believe it is going to be good. This morning I posted a review on the Northern Brewer web sight where I purchased the kit. I stated it was falsely labeled as a CA Pinot but but so far it tastes as expected. To my surprise they posted my review so kudos to them.

Is the country of origin sticker unique to Mosti or MV kits? have not seen them on WE of RJS packaging that is have purchased.
Edit
Image_1 2020-09-10_13-15-03.jpeg
This is the label on the RJS Kit.

Last edited:
Started the Super Tuscan yesterday. Added water to 6 gal mark, let the two skins packs soak overnight in the bag, OG 1.100. Pitched yeast BM 4x4 around 11:00am Sunday. Some foaming this morning so I stirred it but the bag was still submerged. Checked again around 5:30pm. See the picture.
Super Tuscan Day 2.jpeg
We have liftoff .

Moving Into stabilizing and clearing today. After degassing etc...do you guys top off with a similar wine or water? There’s going to be a good amount of head space.

Latest posts

Back