RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswendell

Junior
Reaction score
Finally got started on my super Tuscan. Day 8 of primary, SG is 1.020. I was going to rack Into carboy for 2nd ferm. per instructions, got on here to read and the general consensus is NOT to do this.

What SG should I get to before removing skins/chips and into secondary? Also, any other fun tips along the way would be great 😃

I generally wait until about 1.000 or so, maybe just a bit above, if the timing works better at 1.010. Be prepared for a bit of fun racking, I assume you have skins and wood chips/sawdust to deal with, always clogs my racking cane somewhat. Other tips, I almost always add a bit more wine tannin in primary/secondary and stretch everything out to take at least 6 months to a year from yeast pitch to bottling. Never add the potassium sorbate to a dry wine.

Great guidelines by cmason1957. That is essentially what I always do and I have no problems. BTW, you are really going to enjoy the RJS Super Tuscan. That is one of my all time favorite kits. Let it ferment fully (you should get down to the SG 0.992-0.994 range) and let it age at least a year. Good luck.

I generally wait until about 1.000 or so, maybe just a bit above, if the timing works better at 1.010. Be prepared for a bit of fun racking, I assume you have skins and wood chips/sawdust to deal with, always clogs my racking cane somewhat. Other tips, I almost always add a bit more wine tannin in primary/secondary and stretch everything out to take at least 6 months to a year from yeast pitch to bottling. Never add the potassium sorbate to a dry wine.

Great suggestions! It’ll be tricky siphoning. Usually with other kits I’ve done after 2nd ferm, I let it bulk age awhile, few racks In between. Did not know about the potassium sorbate. Good to know. What would you suggest for second ferm? Any SG I’m looking for or time frame?

Any recommendations on tannin? Brand, how much to add, length of time etc...

Great guidelines by cmason1957. That is essentially what I always do and I have no problems. BTW, you are really going to enjoy the RJS Super Tuscan. That is one of my all time favorite kits. Let it ferment fully (you should get down to the SG 0.992-0.994 range) and let it age at least a year. Good luck.

Im pretty patent, looking forward to trying this in a year or so!

Great suggestions! It’ll be tricky siphoning. Usually with other kits I’ve done after 2nd ferm, I let it bulk age awhile, few racks In between. Did not know about the potassium sorbate. Good to know. What would you suggest for second ferm? Any SG I’m looking for or time frame?

Any recommendations on tannin? Brand, how much to add, length of time etc...

Time frames don't mean much, it takes as little or as long as it takes. I try to never rack before I reach 1.010, but I have, if life throws something in my way that makes me have to early, it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Tannin, I generally use in primary just wine tannin, about a good tablespoon. Later on, if I add. I follow tannin manufacturers recommendations and tannin is something you want to give plenty of time to integrate well with your wine, so the longer it is in the better.

suggest after racking into secondary and sg=1.00 rack in three days off of gross lees and then rack again in three weeks off of fine lees bulk age add K-meta at three day rack

Timely post for me. I have this kit on its way now. Was supposed to be here today but got delayed by Laura. UPS is saying Monday now. I don't really mind the time but don't like the idea of it sitting around in the UPS facility in Texas heat all weekend.
So, a tablespoon of tannin?

I've been thinking about doing a Super Tuscan as well. I'm kind of torn between RJS En Primeur Winery Series Super Tuscan Wine Kit w/skins and Winexpert Private Reserve Super Tuscan Wine Making Kit with skins. They are roughly the same price. Any recommendations?

I've been thinking about doing a Super Tuscan as well. I'm kind of torn between RJS En Primeur Winery Series Super Tuscan Wine Kit w/skins and Winexpert Private Reserve Super Tuscan Wine Making Kit with skins. They are roughly the same price. Any recommendations?

I was debating the two also. I went with rjs, I think the only reason was juice content. The new WE kits didn’t have as much as rjs if I remember. I could be wrong. And someone here suggested it as a great kit

I was debating the two also. I went with rjs, I think the only reason was juice content. The new WE kits didn’t have as much as rjs if I remember. I could be wrong. And someone here suggested it as a great kit
Yes, WE changed Private Reserve kits from 16l to 14l. I'm not sure how much difference that would make but it is a consideration. By chance did your kit state where the juice actually came from? I recently bought the Master Vintner California Pinot Noir wine kit. To my surprise it had a sticker on the package that said the juice was from Chile. Seems like false advertising.

Yes, WE changed Private Reserve kits from 16l to 14l. I'm not sure how much difference that would make but it is a consideration. By chance did your kit state where the juice actually came from? I recently bought the Master Vintner California Pinot Noir wine kit. To my surprise it had a sticker on the package that said the juice was from Chile. Seems like false advertising.

Yeah I don’t know either. Is 2L going to effect the final product? I’m not an expert. Just doing it for fun! But I also wanted to try something new.
I didn’t look, but I still have the box and paper, I’ll look when I get back home. That does seem like some false advertising imo

I recently bought the Master Vintner California Pinot Noir wine kit. To my surprise it had a sticker on the package that said the juice was from Chile. Seems like false advertising.
Really? I would have contacted the manufacturer get an explanation.

Really? I would have contacted the manufacturer get an explanation.
I first sent an email to Northern Brewer where I purchased the kit. They responded by saying the company, Master Vintner, is primarily in charge of naming these kits, and we get them in as is, and I apologize if this doesn't entirely answer your questions. However, in regards to the source of the grapes, I would go with the country of origin label as opposed to the name.

I've tried to find a way to contact Master Vintner but so far been unsuccessful.label.jpg

Not defending MV on this, but I think they mean the kit is a "California Style" pinot noir as opposed to a Burgundy. As every pinot noir I have had (other then Burgundy's) has been the same lighter style wine I have never considered them California Style.

I too would be interested to hear MV's explanation of this.

Not defending MV on this, but I think they mean the kit is a "California Style" pinot noir as opposed to a Burgundy. As every pinot noir I have had (other then Burgundy's) has been the same lighter style wine I have never considered them California Style.

I too would be interested to hear MV's explanation of this.
That is my take as well. If I ever figure out how to get in touch with MV I'll be sure to let you know what they say.

It is done fermenting and I'll probably bottle it in a month or two. Fortunately it tastes quite good at this point so I'm more annoyed than anything else. Probably won't buy any more kits from MV.

In my experience with Master Vintner, every kit has been a repackaged RJ Spagnols kit, or more recently a Mosti Mondiale kit. There is no Master Vintner, it's just an attempt at marketing and building a new brand. Maybe one day Tim Vandergrift has plans to start processing juice, but at this point it's still just re-branding as far as I can tell.

Anyone have a Mosti kit on hand? I'm betting the "Country of Origin" sticker looks just like the one pictured above by JohnW.

Latest posts

Back