Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
So I made the RJS Super Tuscan today and the hydrometer reads nearly 1.110 which equates to high 15-16% I think. Anyone else get a reading like this immediately after adding the grape pack?
ImageUploadedByWine Making1486163355.006555.jpg

Mine was 1.096 after stirrring the grape pack in. Is your hydrometer calibrated?

I used two different hydrometer and both read within .002 of each other. This one had larger markings for a picture.

I made the RJS Super Tuscan a few years back and remember the final calculated %ABV being 15%. However, I don't recall my starting SG.

Codeman, I have seen big bold Super Tuscans in the 15%+ range. You might want to add a little more water to get the reading to 1.105-1.106. I have been able to ferment my Super Tuscans to SG 0.992. BTW, that has always been a great kit. Good luck.

I've made that kit twice (assuming you're talking about the Winery Series) - one started at 1.110 and the other at 1.114. Both fermented fully dry (0.994 and 0.996) and were/are excellent.

Last edited:
Just did a trio red with same initial SG after grape pack. Turned out fine. Not harsh as I thought it would be.

I have not done the Super Tuscan, but I did have another En Primeur kit (Chardonnay I think?) that came in at a really high OG. To my surprise it fermented out just fine - down to about 0.996 or so if I recall correctly.

I have a Super Tuscan going now. Starting SG 1.094, day 5 SG 1.03, day 7 SG 1.013, day 12 SG 0.999, day 16 SG 0.998 ABV 12.57%.

Remember, every solid adds to the SG, not just sugar. Grape solid in the grape pack push the SG up. It will be fine.

Latest posts

Back