WineXpert Super Tuscan taste bitter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSell

Reaction score
Just bottled a Super Tuscan after one year in carboy. Taste bitter, any ideas why?

Glass carboy or plastic? Plastic will allow some oxygen transfer. How bitter is bitter? If you tasted it after bottling it could be bottle shock. You might consider putting it back into a carboy and add a 1/4C glycerin. A pain I know.

Glass carboy or plastic? Plastic will allow some oxygen transfer. How bitter is bitter? If you tasted it after bottling it could be bottle shock. You might consider putting it back into a carboy and add a 1/4C glycerin. A pain I know.
Was a glass carboy, aged 13 months. Racked every 3 months for the first 9 months, sulfite adjusted every three months based on ph and existing level (Vinmetrica tester). Tasted good at each rack. I unfortunately just bottled the whole 6 gal. Tasked the wine left in the bottom of the carbo, maybe the bottled wine will be better.

I forgot to mention I had a significent amount ot wine crystals in the bottom of the carboy. My wine cellar gets fairly cold when we have below zero outside temps, which we had in December. Did not think this would contribute to the taste. See this in my bottled wine and also in my high end store bought wine bottles.

I started a WE Super Tuscan in Oct 21. Aged in glass Carboys and rotated every 4 months. Put in bottles in Oct 22, and it still has a bitter taste (as of last Dec), although it’s getting better with age. It is drinkable, however, I plan on tasting again in February and have hopes it has improved. I will say it’s been bitter since secondary.

Some people can detect a red wine ‘kit’ bitterness. I don’t know if that is what I’m getting, but I’ve chalked it up to that. The cure for some is to wait till the 24 month mark. It may take that long.

I’ve got a S Tuscan from FWK in bulk now nine months. I rack every three months and give it a dose. I did notice that the wine really smelled and tasted great out of the fermenter but seemed to lose something at every racking. It’s a bit disappointing. Especially with all the hype around FWK. I won’t rack again for another three months.

I’ve got a S Tuscan from FWK in bulk now nine months. I rack every three months and give it a dose. I did notice that the wine really smelled and tasted great out of the fermenter but seemed to lose something at every racking. It’s a bit disappointing. Especially with all the hype around FWK. I won’t rack again for another three months.
None of their reds that I've done have tasted good to me until the 1.5 year mark. That's when they turned the corner for me. The Cab Sauvignon is taking even longer, so patience definitely pays off. I had grape skins in all of them. However, their Blackberry was excellent early. I'll probably try their Blueberry next.

I forgot to mention I had a significent amount ot wine crystals in the bottom of the carboy. My wine cellar gets fairly cold when we have below zero outside temps, which we had in December. Did not think this would contribute to the taste.
The crystals are potassium bitartrate and don't affect the flavor.

As other have said, give the wine time. Bottle shock hits some wines, and the wine in the bottom of the carboy may have been off for this type of reason.

Latest posts

Back