RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan...My first RJS kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been making WinExpert kits (mostly Eclipse for the past several years) for 15 years. Recently, one of my retailers had a bunch of price increases, and the other, while he held the line on price for a while, switched to RJS products because of price and other things. I have noticed a reduction in the quality of customer service from WinExpert since the reorganization.
Anyway, I am making my first RJS kit today. I have noticed the following similarities and differences immediately:
-the instructions are similar to the old Eclipse set.
-the juice is less aromatic.
-the grapeskins are packaged differently, and are runnier like the older "selection with grapeskins" packs and are very aromatic.
-the bentonite stirs in much easier.
-there are less grapeskins by weight.
The initial (B4 adding grapeskins) SG is higher.
after adding and squeezing the grapepack, the SG is about the same
There are no oak cubes, or powder, only chips.
So my question is, do you think RJS enpremeur/winery series kits are as good as WE Eclipse kits?
I do have a Bravado and a Forza in my basement for eventual comparison, but I can't wait to hear your opinions.

I have been making WinExpert kits (mostly Eclipse for the past several years) for 15 years. Recently, one of my retailers had a bunch of price increases, and the other, while he held the line on price for a while, switched to RJS products because of price and other things. I have noticed a reduction in the quality of customer service from WinExpert since the reorganization.
Anyway, I am making my first RJS kit today. I have noticed the following similarities and differences immediately:
-the instructions are similar to the old Eclipse set.
-the juice is less aromatic.
-the grapeskins are packaged differently, and are runnier like the older "selection with grapeskins" packs and are very aromatic.
-the bentonite stirs in much easier.
-there are less grapeskins by weight.
The initial (B4 adding grapeskins) SG is higher.
after adding and squeezing the grapepack, the SG is about the same
There are no oak cubes, or powder, only chips.
So my question is, do you think RJS enpremeur/winery series kits are as good as WE Eclipse kits?
I do have a Bravado and a Forza in my basement for eventual comparison, but I can't wait to hear your opinions.
Short answer: Yes, as good or better.

I just bottled this kit after four years of bulk aging (date code was Feb 2014). It turned out to be a very good drink.
Your mileage may vary, but I have found RJS premium kits to be as good or better than WE.

I just bottled this kit after four years of bulk aging (date code was Feb 2014). It turned out to be a very good drink.
Your mileage may vary, but I have found RJS premium kits to be as good or better than WE.

Four years??? Wow. I would bet that most kit wine makers here don’t have anything left from kits they made 4 years ago.

It takes many things: Discipline, planning, and lots of product in the production line.

I certainly agree with you that most kit wine makers consume their yield long before 4 years. This is further reflected in the industry producing kits that are geared towards quick production and quick consumption. In my experience, I have found that these types of products have an identifiable characteristic taste, and I conversely, am interested in producing great wine.

The main argument being is that the ultra-premium kits are capable of being aged for several years before spoiling.
Four years??? Wow. I would bet that most kit wine makers here don’t have anything left from kits they made 4 years ago.

After a 90 day regime, I bottled this last week. We had the extra bottle with supper, and it was similar quality to other wines of that youth. Will provide an update in 6 months or so. I think the labels will be troublesome upon removal.

After a 90 day regime, I bottled this last week. We had the extra bottle with supper, and it was similar quality to other wines of that youth. Will provide an update in 6 months or so. I think the labels will be troublesome upon removal.
If you're referring to the labels supplied with the kit, they peel off without much effort, especially if you rinse out the bottle with warm or hot water just prior to removal.

Wines and aging, if your process is clean , your base product decent and your allow the production to surpassed your needs , then yes most kit wines can age out nicely.
On the other hand if the base product isn't a decent quality and you don't have all the tools you require in your tool box then the short term is usually the case..
It all depends on your space to work in and storage and most of all your WALLET..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back