RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan is in the house

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Birthday! That is a great kit just as it is, but if swapping the yeast, I'd probably go with BM4X4.

I used the kit yeast on mine and it's great. That reminds me - it's 1 year anniversary was the other day. I need to crack one open.

Happy Birthday! That is a great kit just as it is, but if swapping the yeast, I'd probably go with BM4X4.

I used the kit yeast on mine and it's great. That reminds me - it's 1 year anniversary was the other day. I need to crack one open.

cool Jim, send me a bottle and I will sample for you....:p:dg

Hey Geek,

Please allow me to make two recommendations [my same kit recently went into bulk aging]...

1. Put those chips into something like the cheese cloth bag that RJS packed for the skins. I just poured mine in and had a tough time racking because of the cane tip getting clogged. Also, with chips in the bag you can squeeze out and not loose a lot of juice. This kit far and away needed more topping than any other I had made to date.
2. Do not tie the knot of the skin bag all the way down to the skins but rather near the top so that you leave more room for the skins to slosh around in the bag.

Good luck!

Ps. Got my same kit from Maltose, is that where you bought yours?

Last edited:
I cannot properly give advice, since I don't know the result, but I decided on BM45 for my CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo (which is a Super Tuscan). MoreWine's suggested yeast pairing states that BM45 is one of the best choices for Sangiovese. It is also listed as good for Cab. Sauv. It's said to emphasize plummy and jammy flavors, which is what I favor.

I realize this is not a set-it-and-forget-it yeast, but is said to have high nitrogen needs. My plan is to "work my way up" to this yeast by using more and more fussy yeast first. To wit, I moved from EC-1118 to RC212 to get my feet wet with nutrients and energizers. Next, I will try ICV-D254, then maybe RP15 on other kits, before trying BM45 on the Rosso Fortissimo if all goes well. (One could also opt for BM4x4 instead, as Boatboy and Southern Chemist have noted, to be a bit safer.)

I cannot properly give advice, since I don't know the result, but I decided on BM45 for my CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo (which is a Super Tuscan). MoreWine's suggested yeast pairing states that BM45 is one of the best choices for Sangiovese. It is also listed as good for Cab. Sauv. It's said to emphasize plummy and jammy flavors, which is what I favor.

I realize this is not a set-it-and-forget-it yeast, but is said to have high nitrogen needs. My plan is to "work my way up" to this yeast by using more and more fussy yeast first. To wit, I moved from EC-1118 to RC212 to get my feet wet with nutrients and energizers. Next, I will try ICV-D254, then maybe RP15 on other kits, before trying BM45 on the Rosso Fortissimo if all goes well. (One could also opt for BM4x4 instead, as Boatboy and Southern Chemist have noted, to be a bit safer.)

I'd personally just go for it. There's nothing particularly complicated about adding nutrients to an active fermentation on this scale. I've used the Go-Ferm/Fermaid combo with no problems on BM45 (following the nutrient regimen on MoreWine). I've even used BM45 in a blueberry melomel without issue. You just need to watch the fermentation as it progresses rather than pitch it and forget it, but then again, you'll probably be doing that anyway.

I'd personally just go for it. There's nothing particularly complicated about adding nutrients to an active fermentation on this scale. I've used the Go-Ferm/Fermaid combo with no problems on BM45 (following the nutrient regimen on MoreWine). I've even used BM45 in a blueberry melomel without issue. You just need to watch the fermentation as it progresses rather than pitch it and forget it, but then again, you'll probably be doing that anyway.

Good points, and thanks for the input and encouragement. You are correct, I will indeed be keeping an eye on the fermentations. The "plan" I outlined is as much driven by the fact that I have 3 kits on deck: WE SI Malbec (as I know you have seen in another post), CC Showcase Syrah, and the CC Rosso Fortissimo. I will be starting one per month (due to carboy limitations) for the next 3 months. So I figured might as well do those kits in the order of least fussy yeast to most!

Sorry for the partial threadjack, geek. I am psyched that you got a RJS Super Tuscan and want to hear how the ferment goes!

hang on, checking kit contents, it has oak powder for primary but no oak cubes for 2nd fermentation or bulk aging? :ft

hang on, checking kit contents, it has oak powder for primary but no oak cubes for 2nd fermentation or bulk aging? :ft

You have oak CHIPS though some "powder" like stuff may have settled to the bottom of the bag. The bag I see in your original post is exactly what I got in my Winery Series Super Tuscan kit. Maybe the RJS EP kit has a second bag of cubes or whatever for later in the process? You should be good to go.

so you didn't add any oak after primary for bulk aging?
I will check but most likely will get an oak spiral.

I have used BM4x4 on several kits with great results. The yeast is not fussy at all.

Checked my notes and mine came with American oak chips for primary and nothing else. I put it into a brand new Vadai for 5 weeks, and I gave it two ounces of cubes after that for a month. I'm sipping it now, and at 12 months, there is still a definite oak presence, but it is falling back very nicely. It is a really good wine. (If i do say so myself. :) )

so you didn't add any oak after primary for bulk aging?
I will check but most likely will get an oak spiral.

I did not. For the first time round I'd like to see how this kit turns out done without tweaks.

Varis,
You should just do the kit right from the instructions, get the process down to a science before you tweak a kit.

Latest posts

Back