Super Smoother

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a combination of oak extract and glycerin. Folks who use oak extract say positive things about it; I've not used it myself as I prefer aging oak. I add glycerin to most wines at bottling and recommend it.

OTOH, you can purchase wine conditioner and oak essence for less money overall. This requires you measure how much you use, but let's you customize the flavor instead of using what has been measured out.

Are you wanting to add to fix a specific problem?
Nope - just experimenting :)

Wanted to get some oak into a portion of a Zinfandel Rose I'm making for THIS summer -- without having to actually oak it with spiral or chips and have to age it.

Cheers!

My philosophy has been to only make wine from grapes, yeast and time in a barrel. The only occasion anything else is added is to fix a problem. Nutrient during fermentation, if the grapes are lacking, adjuncts if there is an issue with grapes, other additives, blend, post ferment if the wine is out of balance or lacking. Not saying adding these products are right or wrong, but I feel it should only be done to remedy an issue.

I know that the best wines I've made has been those that started with excellent grapes and I did very little to it.

Latest posts

Back