Super slow sassafras primary. What would you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 2 weeks ago I started a sassafras wine I was really excited about. I've had a string of super fast ferments but the Wine Gods decided it was time to pay. After a week it went from 1.085 to 1.058. I added more nutrient at day 8 but it didn't help. I was starting to worry about it being exposed to oxygen for such a long time. I know that some juices will go bad if the fermentation doesn't progress fast enough to produce enough alcohol for preservation. Today was day 12, SG only at 1.036, I transferred everything to 3-gallon carboy with a 6-bubble airlock. After about 3 hours I had bubbles about every 2 seconds.

Was I wrong to transfer early? What else could I have done? What would you do?

The sassafras is allelopathic like the black walnut - it's roots give off a chemical which can inhibit the growth of other plants. I wonder if it affects yeast?

BTW, it tastes REALLY good! If you have a source for sassafras root I would try it.

You are probably fine. When I rack that first time, I also rack really dirty and don't care what I pick up,. Gotta make sure plenty of healthy yeast makes it to under that airlock.
Yes, I've recently read quite a bit about the benefits of transferring to secondary as opposed to racking to secondary.

My Chardonnay that stuck for a month took off when I poured into secondary. I think it started before I left the basement. Dropped like a rock from 1.030 to 1.000 in a week and cleared in another week. I’m going to bottle some soon leaving a little co2 for brightness and higher acid mouthfeel. It is nearly perfect.

Sounds like this will be great.

I’m thinking wines with juice only, and not lots of actual fruit are OK to ferment under airlock.

of course it would be preferable to see it go down under 1.020 in primary but whatever gets you where you need to be….

My Chardonnay that stuck for a month took off when I poured into secondary. I think it started before I left the basement. Dropped like a rock from 1.030 to 1.000 in a week and cleared in another week. I’m going to bottle some soon leaving a little co2 for brightness and higher acid mouthfeel. It is nearly perfect.

Sounds like this will be great.
Thanks.

Just when you think you've got things figured out you realize you probably won't figure things out. Mother Nature is a hoot.

I’m thinking wines with juice only, and not lots of actual fruit are OK to ferment under airlock.

of course it would be preferable to see it go down under 1.020 in primary but whatever gets you where you need to be….
I think you're right.
My biggest concern was being in primary too long and going bad.

Uh oh. This means I have nothing in primary. Well.....decisions decisions.

Latest posts

Back