Super kleer issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelo80

Junior
Reaction score
I recently made a 6 gallon batch of blueberry beet wine. Fermentation went fine, when spg dropped to .994 I degassed added sorbate and metabisulphate, then I added super kleer. I noticed in the carboy after 2 days heavy skum and crud formed at the top of the car boy and flowed out the airlock? This is the first time ive used super kleer and have never had this happen before with sparkloid powder, any thoughts?

When I use fining agents, I only use Super Kleer. Never had it come out the top. My thoughts are that you still had a bunch of Co2 in your wine that pushed the Super Kleer out the top and that your wine isn't as degassed as it needed to be.

Just as a side note, I feel it is better to add just metabisulphite only after fermentation is complete. Make sure the gas is fully out. After about 2-3 months add the clearing agent, let sit for a week or two to fully clear, rack onto metabisulphite and sorbate. Wait a few days, backsweeten, wait a week for possible refermentation, then bottle. Basically, I want the sorbate to act on as little leftover yeast as possible to be most effective. I know kits says you gotta add it and stabilize right after fermentation. I have never had a bottle bomb doing it this way.

I basically pushed all of that junk back down into the carboy and replaced the airlock. Do you recommend I just leave it sit to clear as much as possible and then re rack it?

I basically pushed all of that junk back down into the carboy and replaced the airlock. Do you recommend I just leave it sit to clear as much as possible and then re rack it?

If it were me, I would give it a really good stir, make sure those chemicals are all well dispersed throughout. Gravity will help it fall out again, not a big deal, provided it really is degassed.

Latest posts

Back