Sunday Canning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've dehydrated about 3 lbs of jujubes so far.

And frozen another 6 lbs. This weekend I'll be going out one last time and I'm hoping I can get another 15 lbs worth.

I had to look up jujubes just to find out what they are! Where are getting yours?

They sound like they are custom made for South Texas weather and we have been wanting to plant some fruit trees.

Canning police would probably hate me as I never process my pickles & peppers as that turns them to mush! Mine are always crispy & crunchy, never soft. Heat liquid to 185 degrees, pour over pickles& peppers, seal with lids, invert & immediately place in fridge, sometime freezer. They always seal, stay crunchy & last forever..... Stopped using water bath on pickles & peppers when they became soft & mushy! Do us it on others like tomatoes though.
Al

Do you "canners" prefer a water bath for sealing lids or do you invert them?

I do neither. I heat the jars, fill them and let them sit. This is the way my grandmother did it and my mother did it. Never an issue.

I do neither. I heat the jars, fill them and let them sit. This is the way my grandmother did it and my mother did it. Never an issue.

Julie, are you saying you heat the empty jars? How do you do this? In an oven or hot water? What temperature?

Sounds interesting and a lot less work.

Julie, are you saying you heat the empty jars? How do you do this? In an oven or hot water? What temperature?

Sounds interesting and a lot less work.

pour a little water in a pan, add a little water to each jar and add them to the pan, also, add the lids put them on the stove on a low heat, don't let the water boil, just keep it very warm. Take them out of the water as you need them and pour the water out of the one you are taking, pour it into another and place it in the water. clean the rim of the jar you just filled, place the lid and screw on the ring, sit it on the counter. Seals within 30 minutes

I made 5 quarts of Peach Jam, and several trays of Peach Crisps. This weekend, I'll go out and pick a bunch of apples and make some Apple Crisps. Reheated crisps with Ice Cream is the best treat during the long winter.

I had to look up jujubes just to find out what they are! Where are getting yours?

They sound like they are custom made for South Texas weather and we have been wanting to plant some fruit trees.

Believe it or not, I found two patches from going out and foraging.
One is in the cemetery that my great grandparents are buried in. I went to visit their grave a few weeks ago and discovered the trees growing. The other stand is behind a property near my feed store. The owner was intrigued that I wanted to gather them, as she always considered them a nuisance. I'll probably regret it, but when I go to harvest hers I'm going to bring a pound or so of dried jujubes for her to eat.

They do very great in Texas, so much so that they are considered highly invasive. Most have found that if they just let the main tree grow and keep all the seedlings mowed before they can get established, then they are manageable

Did my last batch of salsa, 26 pints in all and my hands are on fire from the hot peppers!!!!!!

Today we canned 120 quart jars of tomatoes. We slice them layer in pots with basil and salt. Cook them down, they then go in water bath for 20 minutes. ImageUploadedByWine Making1472340015.890676.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1472340030.159679.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1472340045.717133.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1472340089.061392.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1472340104.363655.jpg

To finish it all off what's else? Fresh Pappardelle with bolognese sauce!

So if I'm understanding this process, when you do canning, it's actually in a jar. And you can do Sunday canning on Saturday?

You're still being technical... :)
What would you call it anyway, "jarring"?

I've been a bit lax this year with the canning (or "jarring") :)

Peach salsa, dill pickles, fridge pickles, sour cherry jelly, black forest jelly, sour cherry-vanilla jelly, banana brown sugar butter with pecans, 4 citrus marmalade, strawberry jam, strawberry-lemon jam, strawberry-peach jam, spiced peach jam, crab apple juice, rhubarb juice, beets, and dilly beans so far. Tomatoes are just starting to ripen, so I started a roasted corn salsa today. Mmmmm so good!

Then it will be on to plum sauce, ketchup, apple sauce, roasted salsas, pickled peppers, tomato sauce, more dill pickles and beets, etc. Then the apple crush! Fresh apple cider is awesome. That should free up some room for more tomatoes in the freezer for the ketchup.

Plus I still have fruit left in the freezer from last year with my winemaking kind of being on pause right now. TBC on whether it will make it into a new batch or end up canned! (sorry - jarred).

Believe it or not, I found two patches from going out and foraging.
One is in the cemetery that my great grandparents are buried in. I went to visit their grave a few weeks ago and discovered the trees growing. The other stand is behind a property near my feed store. The owner was intrigued that I wanted to gather them, as she always considered them a nuisance. I'll probably regret it, but when I go to harvest hers I'm going to bring a pound or so of dried jujubes for her to eat.

They do very great in Texas, so much so that they are considered highly invasive. Most have found that if they just let the main tree grow and keep all the seedlings mowed before they can get established, then they are manageable

save me some seeds! Actually, I plan on going to a nursery in San Antonio tomorrow and I am gonna see if they have any trees for sale. Bet the deer would keep them in check down here.

Today we canned 120 quart jars of tomatoes. We slice them layer in pots with basil and salt. Cook them down, they then go in water bath for 20 minutes.

MAN! I never even thought about using my fish fryer for canning outside. DUH!
Great idea. I'm slow, but I get there sooner of later.

save me some seeds! Actually, I plan on going to a nursery in San Antonio tomorrow and I am gonna see if they have any trees for sale. Bet the deer would keep them in check down here.

I was planning on saving some for us, so I'll set aside some for you as well.

Today we canned 120 quart jars of tomatoes. We slice them layer in pots with basil and salt. Cook them down, they then go in water bath for 20 minutes.

That looks absolutely amazing. I want to try it. Can you post a few more details?

So if I'm understanding this process, when you do canning, it's actually in a jar. And you can do Sunday canning on Saturday?

Yes, if you are close to the Mason-Dixon line like I am (18 miles away) you must use a Mason jar, down in Maryland you use a Dixon jar. And yes, you still call it canning.

As far as Saturday canning and calling it Sunday, that is just a preseason ritual to get ready for the regular NFL season. You would never can on a Sunday, or you'd not be able to follow the games with the attention they deserve.

Wine drinking is allowed, but only after the 4 o'clock games commence on Sunday. There is no stated start time on Saturday, so wine or beer can be drunk as early as 9 am, but only if you are frying bacon. Otherwise a Noon start time is normal, or after church, whichever comes first.

I'm sure I can come up with more bulls**t if you give me more time and alcohol, as my wife says I am quite "full of it". Guessing on the "it".

Last edited:
No, Seriously. Why is it called canning? We would call it preserving on this side of the Pacific.

And we do it in our Fowlers jars (fowlersvacola.com.au).

Latest posts

Back