Summertime is coming - Choose Your Vino

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did a thing... kinda magical, actually.

Over the weekend, I took a bottle of the Luna Bianca and put it through the Soda Stream (powered unit, called Fizzi One Touch I think). Granted I still need to master how much to carbonate (lost a third of the bottle in overflow). But, the results were spectacular. Can't want to put the rose through it too.

WE Peach Apricot Chardonnay is very popular with my friends. I keep running out of it. I just made a WE Moscato at my mother in laws request and it tasted good at bottling. Two years ago I made a dragonsblood quad berry, it was good but not great. A friend just called and opened a bottle, loved it and wanted to know if I had any more! So I guess I need to get another batch going. I also have the FWK Grenache Rose and Moscato in my cart right now waiting to pull the trigger!

I used to homebrew beer and still have the carbonation setup for kegged beer.
I bought a 2.5 gallon corney keg so I could put wine on tap during that time, Actually it is easy to do a forced carbonation to the wine and serve it that way.
I like light wines during summer project days, by light I mean stuff like watermelon or lower ABV Skeeter Pee. Skeeter Pee I have forced carbonated before and served at a party.
To force carbonate a liquid you would chill it down in the keg to around 38 F and then using the out feed of the keg, inject co2 into the keg doing a gentle shake. Use about 8 pounds of pressure. Do this for about 30 minutes and return it to the cooling device. Next day set the tap to about 4 pounds and pull the tap. The first few glasses may be really gassy but after that it will pour good.

A bit of advice, this is adding co2 to wine and you should not do a wine that it will affect the taste of much, or one that you will not serve quick. I have done it to stuff like skeeter pee before a party. I do not think I would try a red grape wine as I can see it going south real quick. Wines in the category of wine coolers would be my experiments.

A bit of advice, this is adding co2 to wine and you should not do a wine that it will affect the taste of much, or one that you will not serve quick. I have done it to stuff like skeeter pee before a party. I do not think I would try a red grape wine as I can see it going south real quick. Wines in the category of wine coolers would be my experiments.

I make a low ABV Skeeter (8 or 9%) and backsweeten it with frozen lemonade. I really enjoy that with a bit of bubbles in it. Right now the keg is living in my porch which has been right around freezing for roughly the last month. Fridge space is going to be challenging as the days warm up but its definitely staying around for the summer.

Latest posts

Back