WineXpert Summer Temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just a quick question...

My strawberry Merlot has been "clearing" for a week now, last stage of the instructions. We are having a heat wave here and its temp is about 26 - 27 celcius (79 - 81 F), I know this is bad for yeast, but when it is clearing and yeast isnt a factor does this matter that much, should I try to cool it down?

Thanks!:D

I wouldn't sweat it (no pun intended). When it's fermenting, temps can play an important part. Once it's finished, temps that fall in the norm of human tolerance are not going to cause too much harm. In fact, degassing usually works better when the wine is warm. Maybe you should take advantage of the heat wave and do some degassing.

Yes degass now. Temporary heat swings are okay as long as they are slow. Frequent swings are bad for wine. My wines are swelling from the heat and are just under the bung. Cooler temps are ahead.

OKay great thanks for the replies, I have already degassed the wine, and it is pretty settled out, but can I degas again?

Latest posts

Back