summer temps?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealc

Junior
Reaction score
Hi

I made some winexpert wines years ago, and now I want to make some wine again (not nec winexpert). The problem is I live in LA without air conditioning (previously I lived in Utah and it was pretty cold for a good part of the year). I'm on the north side of a large hill so it's cool enough that we're accustomed to indoor temp of about 70s sometimes 80s even in the summer, rarely goes up into 90s on a couple of the very hottest days - we do have a portable AC for those days anyway.

However I'm concerned that if i start a wine (want to do a pinot noir kit) now, then it will be regularly 70 and sometimes 80s. Is this a big enough problem that I shouldn't even try it? I can see some kits around $50-70 but if this is doomed from the start then I can wait until Fall.

Thanks for any advice!
-Neal

Last edited:
Fermentation and storage of wine in the mid 70's is fine, though storage would be much better served in the low 60's, but you can get by. Temperature fluctuations are not good for wine, especially if you're getting into the 80's occasionally. Perhaps you could single out a small room in your home to use for your wine and put a small window unit in there to maintain temps year round in the 72 - 75 range, that would make a pretty good situation for you to make wine and store wine in.

if you go for a window AC unit , make sure it is 220v they cost more to buy, but a 110v you will be paying foreverr monthly, 110v uses much more on your electric bill, and as Johnd said a small one will work great just keep the door shut, and in L.A. their electric bill costs are nuts,
Dawg

While fermentation is going on, I have my carboy/fermentation vessel in another container with a wet t shirt around the carboy. The t-shirt wicks water up and I have a fan on the wet t-shirt. It will lower the temp about 5*. You can also add ice to the outside container.

You can certainly make wine under those conditions. I'd figure out the coolest and most stable place that works and maintain your wine there. Make certain the wine can be racked without moving it or you may have difficulty with racking and clarifying. Also, stable temps are often better than high.

Latest posts

Back