Summer Breeze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
Ok, I started to play around with another mixed fruit wine. Walmart is now selling 4# bags of mixed fruit (strawberries, peachers, mangos & pineapples) I decided to make a 5 gallon batch using 5 bags of fruit. I, also, decided to separate the fruit and then weight it. I got 5 1/2 # of strawberries, 4 1/2# peaches, 4 1/2# mangos, 5 1/2# pineapples.

SG - 1.084, acid - .675%, yeast - 71b 1122

If this stuff tastes as good as it smells this is going to be so awesome. :db

I plan on calling this Summer Breeze

I was thinking of making another batch with the stuff from GFS. I would have to make a 6 gallon batch as that is the only free carboy I have. That will wait until next month most likely. It's either that or a 6 gallon batch of the very berry melomel that I made before.

Julie I have my Tropical Breeze waiting to bottle. Hopefully tomorrow. I sweetened to 1.006 for (2 gallons) 10 bottles then I'll sweeten the remaining 3 gallons some more, maybe 1.012-1.015?

Great idea to break down the pounds of fruit. Kudos.

It has a nice color to it. I'll send some north with Dan next month.

It is a 5 gallon batch. The color is a nice orange color.

Steve backsweeten to around 1.010 should give you a nice flavor.

Since I can't get the honeydew melon, cantaloupe, peach & red grape mixed fruit at Walmart anymore I am going to try this from scratch as well. As the fruit comes into season I am going to buy it and freeze it until I have everything then make a 5 gallon batch of that. I decided to use 6# each of honeydew melon, cantaloupe, peaches and 2# of thompson's red grapes.

5 1/2# Strawberrries, sliced
4 1/2# peaches, sliced
4 1/2# mangos, sliced
5 1/2# pineapples, chunks

water to the 4.5 imp. gallon mark
sugar to bring must to approx. 1.080, I used 7# of sugar
1 1/8 tsp k-meta
acid blend to .675%, I used 7 tbs
1 tbs peptic enzyme

place fruit in straining bags, heat water and sugar then add. add peptic enzyme. when cool squeeze bag. leave sit for 24 hours. add acid blend and k-meta leave sit another 24 hours squeeze bag a couple times a day. pitch yeast. I left the bag of fruit in for another day because the fruit wasn't mushy enough for me. take fruit bag out and if need to add enough water to 5 gallon mark. I will leave this sit, stirring daily, until 1.010 then rack to carboy.

just racked for the second time. What a gorgeous copper color, and very nice aroma too. Definately going to back sweeten. Might go up a little higher. Could be a fun party wine. Not to mention cheap fruit!

5 1/2# Strawberrries, sliced
4 1/2# peaches, sliced
4 1/2# mangos, sliced
5 1/2# pineapples, chunks

water to the 4.5 imp. gallon mark
sugar to bring must to approx. 1.080, I used 7# of sugar
1 1/8 tsp k-meta
acid blend to .675%, I used 7 tbs
1 tbs peptic enzyme

place fruit in straining bags, heat water and sugar then add. add peptic enzyme. when cool squeeze bag. leave sit for 24 hours. add acid blend and k-meta leave sit another 24 hours squeeze bag a couple times a day. pitch yeast. I left the bag of fruit in for another day because the fruit wasn't mushy enough for me. take fruit bag out and if need to add enough water to 5 gallon mark. I will leave this sit, stirring daily, until 1.010 then rack to carboy.

is this in the recipe stickies?

is this in the recipe stickies?

This is how smart Julie is. Seperately we purchased the same bags of mixed fruit for a tropical blend/breeze etc. I dumped it into a bucket, Julie separated each type of fruit and weighed it so if you can't get the bags you can make it out of individual fruit.

I sweetened mine to @ 1.014 and it is very good. I also have a set @ 1.008 gravity for those who like a dryer wine.

I don't know if Julie has posted the recipe sticky yet.

Back