Sulphur Stick

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianvas12

Reaction score
Hello - I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Sulphur Stick to sanitize and treat glass carboy and fermented juice.
Part of the wine making process I was told is to treat the carboy with a burning sulphur stick - next, syphon the wine through the smoke accumulated in the carboy. This should help.

My question is - is this the proper way? If so, how much should I use? I noticed a "sulph" taste after I did.

Thank you.
Adrian

A sulfur stick is used to sanitize a barrel. there is no way you can control the amount of SO2 that will be added by the smoke, therefore the sulfur taste and smell. Use a solution of 3 grams KMeta, 11 grams of tartaric acid in a gallon of water to rinse out a carboy also place in a spray bottle and spray tools used in toughing the way. Follow the rule of 1/4 teaspoon of K-Meta per five gallons to purge oxygen and keep bacteria at bay in your wine.

Hello - I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Sulphur Stick to sanitize and treat glass carboy and fermented juice.
Part of the wine making process I was told is to treat the carboy with a burning sulphur stick - next, syphon the wine through the smoke accumulated in the carboy. This should help.

My question is - is this the proper way? If so, how much should I use? I noticed a "sulph" taste after I did.

Thank you.
Adrian

That was the preferred method. In the Roman empire in 18 BC!

Thank you for your answer.
So you think this is not the proper way - great then. I should stop doing this.
Maybe a silly question - what is the purpose of K-Meta vs. the sulphur stick? Also, do you think that the taste will go away or the wine is all lost now?

Thank you.
Adrian

The sulfur stick while burning creates the SO2 environment to sanitize the barrel. K-Meta is in a powder form. It can be used in liquid form to sanitize surfaces and tools. it also is a oxygen scavenger and bacteria inhibitor so when added to wine perform these two function. there are other chemical that can be used to clean and sanitize surfaces. K-Meta is not a cleaner just a bacteria inhibiter.

Thank you for your response - what about the wine? Do you think is ruined? Or will the sulphure taste eventually go away?

I noticed a "sulph" taste after I did.

Thank you for your response - what about the wine? Do you think is ruined? Or will the sulphure taste eventually go away?

Which kind of "sulphur taste"? I am guessing this is like a burnt match? (As opposed to rotten egg, :f or sewer gas, or cooked cabbage, or burnt rubber?)

If burnt match, then I believe this will dissipate in time. (I am not an expert, however.)

Yes - it is the burned match.
OK - I will keep an eye on it.
Again thank you for your feedback - very useful.

What is exactly splash racking? Transfer the wine from a carboy to another using a funnel? I read that on the forums ....

when racking hold the tubing in the receiving carboy against the inside of the glass so that a spray pattern develops . this exposes the wine to more air and dissipate the sulfur quickly. don't worry about oxidizing as you have plenty of so2 protection.

Back