Sulphur - Peach

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedaggie

Reaction score
Moved peach wine into secondaries about 3 weeks ago. I used the AIO pump to go from 6 gallons of must to 4 one-gallon carboys of wine - added pectic enzyme and Kmeta to each. Felt like there was quite a bit of wine still left in the bucket, so I poured it through a sanitized strainer and funnel into its own 1G carboy, same pectic enzyme and Kmeta protocol. I felt like maybe I'd have enough there for top-offs the next time I racked.

The 4 carboys cleared pretty nicely in just 2 weeks and were sitting on quite a bit of pulp, so I decided to rerack them today. Ended up with 3 full gallons. They're doing well - good flavor, etc...

When I opened the carboy of wine I strained, it had a distinct sulphur smell. Very different from the others.

Fortunately I didn't really need it to top off the others. But I'm curious if there's anything I can do about it. I did some searching - read through Scooter's recipe from 2017 after the fact, where he strained the must, so I'm not thinking that necessarily had anything to do with it.

Any thoughts?

This is only a guess, so take it with a grain of NaCl. I am guessing that the wine you strained wound up with more essentially gross lees. Sitting on gross lees can lead to hydrogen sulfide production.

Doing this a risk in and of itself that I recognized the first time I tried it. When in doubt dump those leftovers. I been lucky so far - usually I put whatever I pull off/filter into the fridge right away and the pour off any clearing liquid in a day or two. Chilling it down should help separate and slow down that gross lees HS production.

I might have racked off of the pulp sooner than 2 weeks. Based on the volume change (4g -> 3g) you had 25% pulp by volume. You might have been lucky you didn't have H2S in those other carboys.

But I do what @Scooter68 does, put that junk from the bottom in the fridge. It sometimes actually clears faster than the wine in the carboys. I use Mason jars, just fill them up to minimize oxygen.

Back