WineXpert Sulphite/Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Use the Sulphite/Sorbate combo?

• Use it

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Trash can it, and provide my own So2

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
My latest WE kit LE18 Barbaresco came with a 9.5g packet of Sulphite/Sorbate which makes it impossible to skip the Sorbate without using plain Sulphite from a different source. Not a deal breaker, just need to provide my own Sulphite and toss the Sulphite/Sorbate combo in the trash along with the Kieselsol and Chitosan. I'm hoping WE doesn't stick with this combo pack, it's not a good option, especially for "premium?" kits such as LE and Eclipse. Anyone else find one of these in other kits yet?

I haven't found it, but I would trash can it. I don't add sorbate to the wines which ferment and stay dry (which is 99.9% or them). I am guessing they are going to this, so that people are more likely to use the sorbate, even if there isn't any backsweetening happening?
Agreed, I could understand them supplying this combo pack in lower end kits for inexperienced users, but not LE's and Eclipse kits.

I ordered that kit, this change does indeed seem silly. I have never measured the pre-packaged sulfite amount...is it 1/4 tsp?

I ordered that kit, this change does indeed seem silly. I have never measured the pre-packaged sulfite amount...is it 1/4 tsp?
The packets say 4g, I'll measure it out next time I open one.

All winexpert and vineco kits will be going to this all in one sorbate and sulphite, as well as any kits that have 2 kiesesol and chitosan will now have 1 larger size of each clarifier. Also they have phased in different oak packages over the last 6 months, moved away from the Hungarian oak cubes to French/American. Also the oak packages for primary have changed for a ton of kits.

I have a question for all you experienced winemakers, I have seen some skip the clarifiers like isinglass or chito/kieto when they bulk age since most setiment will drop out over time but if you're not going to bulk age should you definitely add them?

I have a question for all you experienced winemakers, I have seen some skip the clarifiers like isinglass or chito/kieto when they bulk age since most setiment will drop out over time but if you're not going to bulk age should you definitely add them?
If you're not bulk aging you should add them, unless you like cloudy wine.

Yes you really should, otherwise you won't get clear wine.

When I bulk age (9 mo to a year) I use just the Sulfite and no clarifier. Currently bulk aging a Cabernet, racked it two or three times and it is now in a 6 gallon carboy since October. Very clear now with a small amount of sediment at the bottom. Planning to bottle in June.

Latest posts

Back