sulphite question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strowheim

Junior
Reaction score
The RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic kit (6 gal carboy) that I am making recommends on day 42 that if you intend to age the wine past 6 months you should add 1/4 tsp of sulphites.

I plan to bulk age my 6gallons for 3 months, then bottle it and hold it for 3 more months prior to drinking.

I want to drink a bottle a month and would like all of this wine to last upwards of 1-2 years.

How much sulphite should I put in it? I had a homemade wine recently (someone else) that had a harsh sulphite smell to it. I dont want this to happen to my wine.

Wine is a cab/syrah/zin blend.

Any advice? Do we have any ideas why his smelled of sulphite and how I can prevent mine from doing that? Thanks!!

Add 1/4tsp every 3 monthe. If you stabilized then aged 3 months then add 1/4tsp at bottling.

I agree! If you added the contents of sulfite at stabilization and then bulk age for 3 months and then you want to bottle it I would between 1/8th and 1/4 tsp of k-meta at bottling time.

I agree! If you added the contents of sulfite at stabilization and then bulk age for 3 months and then you want to bottle it I would between 1/8th and 1/4 tsp of k-meta at bottling time.

Thanks for the replies!! Followup question: How long would the wine be good for after that once it is bottled with 1/8->1/4th of a tsp?

Also, K meta = potassium metabisulphite, right? K being the potassium....

Is there a sulphiting resource online somewhere, or a good book? I'd really like to learn how to measure the sulphite content and understand how much to put in, when, etc.

Thanks for the replies!! Followup question: How long would the wine be good for after that once it is bottled with 1/8->1/4th of a tsp?

Also, K meta = potassium metabisulphite, right? K being the potassium....

Is there a sulphiting resource online somewhere, or a good book? I'd really like to learn how to measure the sulphite content and understand how much to put in, when, etc.
That depends on the wine. If you are looking for 2-5 years with a good cork you should be fine. Big reds can last much longer. Fruit wines less.
Yes K is Potassium here some call it k-meta for short

That depends on the wine. If you are looking for 2-5 years with a good cork you should be fine. Big reds can last much longer. Fruit wines less.
Yes K is Potassium here some call it k-meta for short

We're using some synthetic corks we got from a wine kit.. not sure how good they are but I hope they dont give us any problems..

also, one more question - we plan to rack 3 times (once per month) while bulk aging and before bottling. do I need to add any more because of this racking (i.e. oxygen contact), or do I still follow the advice above?

so the whole plan is... add sulphites from kit, age until day 42. rack to clear. keep for 3 months, racking once per month, then add 1/8th->1/4th tsp k-meta, then bottle and age for 3 months. then drink over time.

is this still recommended?

does anyone have any reading material (online, or books) about sulphiting and how to test/etc?

Last edited:
Check this out.

http://www.winemakermag.com/stories/article/indices/34-sulfite/634-solving-the-sulfite-puzzle

Of course there are also many articles available on the web, and if you do a search on this blog, you will find more info for sure.

As far as racking every month, I would only rack if neccessary, and if one is careful at racking, once a month sounds like it probably would be too much.

But, I am interested to see if others would sulfite at every racking. :a1

Hope this helps.

Wyntheef,
Add 1/4tsp every 3 monthe. If you stabilized then aged 3 months then add 1/4tsp at bottling.

Do this unless/until you have a method of testing for free SO2. Those other methods are: Accuvin SO2 test kit and A/O titration.

Fred

Thanks to you as well, Wade.

Do these work on reds?

I have the titrets, but haven't used them because the general consensus is
they are difficult to read when used with reds.

Steve

gotta go. Miami is about to beat Pittsburgh! (i hope)

Last edited:
I dont have any trouble on reds with the S02 test, the acid test kit is pretty hard to dtermine though.

Latest posts

Back