Sulpher smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce652

Reaction score
Started a Cellar Craft barolo kit on saturday and fermentation is going strong and is now slowing a bit. I have it in the computer room on a cabinet.

I was in the room yesterday and thought the cat had gas. Its starting to give off a sulpher smell. Is this normal? I popped the top and it looks fine, the foaming has calmed down and it smells great. The gas its giving off isnt.

My wife is not gonna like me by the time primary fermentation ends.

Is this normal?

It sounds like H2S (hydrogen sulfide), which definitely is not normal. I would immediately add nitrogen in the form of yeast nutrient (diammonium phosphate) at a rate of at least 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Mix it in well by stirring up everything, including the lees at the bottom. If your SG is still over 1.030, I'd also make a starter with Lalvin EC-1118 yeast and add it as well. It will kill the original yeast that may be more prone to having H2S problems, and take over remainder of the fermentation.

H2S problems can usually be overcome if addressed soon enough. You may want to wait for advice from other posters before doing something drastic, but it definitely sounds like an H2S issue to me.

Last edited:
Back