Sulfur in Tap Water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan850

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about ready to start my first batch, but was concerned about the quality of my tap water. I will be using spring water in the wine itself, so that isn't the concern. I was wondering, however, if it was even safe to use my tap water for cleaning the equipment and bottles etc. I have a pretty bad sulfur problem. It has a very bad rotten egg smell. I'm working on finding a solution for this, but wondered what you guys thought.

Thanks,

Ryan

Welcome!
If you dont like the taste of your water use bottled. Just dont use distilled water

I'm referring to using it for cleaning equipment only. You think I should use bottled water?

Just wanted to make sure I was clear in my question.

After cleaning the carboys with the sulfur water you could take "a little" spring water to flush out any sulfur residue just to be on the safe side.

If your water is that bad then I probably wouldnt use it, I would get your watr tested and resolve that problem with a filtering system.

My bad.I would still use bottled for cleaning and sanitizing then.

Ok. thanks for the replies! I filter my drinking water, but it's not very handy for cleaning equipment (no way to hook it up to a hose or anything). I was thinking sulfur would degas once the equipment was left out to dry, but couldn't find info online about that yet.

Latest posts

Back