RJ Spagnols Sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
Good Morning

Sherry and I have been enjoying this hobby for a while now and very thankful for the information everyone here has provided to us. I have a question regarding sulfites being added to our kits. I seem to have a reaction to them in all wines (at least that is what I am blaming it on) other cocktails, beer do not seem to give me the same flushing that wine does. Some research has pointed to the sulfites in the wine and we are curious about not adding them to our wine we are making. My question to the group is what are the consequences of not adding them and what are the gambles?

As always thanks in advance

Mike and Sherry
MSF Group

What happens when you eat raisins? Dried apricots?

If nothing happens, it is not the sulfites.

Mike and Sherry, I would suggest it all depends on how you store the wine and how fast you consume it. If you can possibly replicate something close to "ideal" conditions, you should be safe. You will get a debate on what "ideal" conditions are but they involve stable temperature, humidity, protection from UV light and stability (i.e. no vibration). A temperature around 55 degrees F and a relative humidity of between 50% and 75% are typically cited as "ideal."

Wine was made for thousands of years before sulfites were added to it and it survived. Indeed, there have been instances where Roman amphorae have been found with wine still in them and drinkable. It really depends on how deeply you want to get into this. You could construct or have constructed a wine storage area that is temperature and humidity controlled but it would be somewhat costly.

your reaction can be to a number of things neither being sulphite. Histamines in red wine, tannin and even sugar can cause this flushing feeling. A true allergy would have hives, or restricted breathing.
Enjoy the wine and just keep consumption down.
without suflites you risk bacterial contamination of the wine regardless of how careful you think you are in keeping your environment clean.

It is my experience that kits made without adding the sulphites provided with the kit can last approximately 1 year. Your experience may vary, but, the wine will gradually deteriorate, and, you can preserve it further by refrigerating it. Of course sulphites are naturally produced during fermentation, so sulphite reduced wine would be the result.
https://winemakermag.com/133-can-i-make-a-sulfite-free-wine

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone

This info is very helpful regarding the sulfites and I am still confused. From my perspective I can drink a beer or a cocktail and it does not happen. I can drink a glass of my RJS wine (followed instructions to a T) and my face, neck, and upper chest glow fire engine red. To me that is an allergic reaction. From the posts it could be a lot of things it seems and I may have gotten misdirected by the hype of sulfites. I will keep researching and THANK you for all of your input

Mike & Sherry
MSF Group

no question on the reaction, my comment is directed to the fact that it is not sufites, but other elements in wine that cause the reaction. sounds foolish but try an antihistamine before wine tasting and see if this eliminates the affect.

This info is very helpful regarding the sulfites and I am still confused. From my perspective I can drink a beer or a cocktail and it does not happen. I can drink a glass of my RJS wine (followed instructions to a T) and my face, neck, and upper chest glow fire engine red. To me that is an allergic reaction. From the posts it could be a lot of things it seems and I may have gotten misdirected by the hype of sulfites. I will keep researching and THANK you for all of your input

Mike & Sherry
MSF Group
Do you react the same way to commercial wines?

Steve

YES

It seems to be more with whites than reds now here is the real kicker it is not all of the time. I am wondering if its reacting to something I am eating or if I have a glass of wine without eating.

I am trying the Pepcid AC trick I have read about that seems to work for everyone so I guess we will see.

Thanks for responding

Salcoco

that is another option I will try and lets see what happens LOL the biggest thing is it is very embarrassing to glow RED from the tip of your head to your chest. I have no other symptoms!

Thanks again

YES

It seems to be more with whites than reds now here is the real kicker it is not all of the time. I am wondering if its reacting to something I am eating or if I have a glass of wine without eating.

I am trying the Pepcid AC trick I have read about that seems to work for everyone so I guess we will see.

Thanks for responding

Wow. I have the same reaction.
Also more with whites than reds. Cheaper wines are worse.
It is also sporadic with me. Happened to me once while drinking homemade Welch's wine with no additives (but that batch had a lot of H2S).

You can try a few drops of hydrogen peroxide which is harmless and will remove sulfite additives (not sure about H2S).

To me the jury is still out. I've read about the histamine issue and I'm thinking that may play into it, but not sure.

Also have been thinking about chitosan which is made from shellfish and if anything will produce an allergic reaction...

BTW, I pastuerized my Welch's wine and that should increase the life somewhat (It worked for a few weeks, until a larger organism got into the bottles and consumed the contents :p )

I'm currently making a Cru Merlot and thinking about leaving a lot of the additives out. I put in bentonite because it's clay and I don't see having a problem with it. Might put in sorbate because it's in EVERYTHING and I'm not allergic to everything.

Plan to skip the chitosan / kieselsol.

Plan to skip the sulfides and pasteurize again.

I'd like some feedback as to whether this will produce a drinkable product or is too far astray.
Thanks

Wow. I have the same reaction.
Also more with whites than reds. Cheaper wines are worse.
It is also sporadic with me. Happened to me once while drinking homemade Welch's wine with no additives (but that batch had a lot of H2S).

You can try a few drops of hydrogen peroxide which is harmless and will remove sulfite additives (not sure about H2S).

To me the jury is still out. I've read about the histamine issue and I'm thinking that may play into it, but not sure.

Also have been thinking about chitosan which is made from shellfish and if anything will produce an allergic reaction...

BTW, I pastuerized my Welch's wine and that should increase the life somewhat (It worked for a few weeks, until a larger organism got into the bottles and consumed the contents :p )

I'm currently making a Cru Merlot and thinking about leaving a lot of the additives out. I put in bentonite because it's clay and I don't see having a problem with it. Might put in sorbate because it's in EVERYTHING and I'm not allergic to everything.

Plan to skip the chitosan / kieselsol.

Plan to skip the sulfides and pasteurize again.

I'd like some feedback as to whether this will produce a drinkable product or is too far astray.
Thanks

Pasteurizing will affect the taste of your wine negatively, heat over 75 is a no-no for finished wine.

If you're making a dry wine, the one thing to definitely skip is the sorbate, completely uneccessary and can have a taste.

If you skip clearing agents, you'll need longer aging in carboy to clear your wine properly, time is your enemy with no sulfites in your wine.

I believe with good sanitation practices, you can produce wine without sulfites, just don't know how long it will last.....

Pasteurizing will affect the taste of your wine negatively, heat over 75 is a no-no for finished wine.

If you're making a dry wine, the one thing to definitely skip is the sorbate, completely uneccessary and can have a taste.

If you skip clearing agents, you'll need longer aging in carboy to clear your wine properly, time is your enemy with no sulfites in your wine.

I believe with good sanitation practices, you can produce wine without sulfites, just don't know how long it will last.....

That's good to know. The kit will produce ~27 bottles, so I should have plenty to play with. Some with pasteurization, some without.
And different levels of aging with and without pasteurization.

Regarding pasteurization, I really didn't notice much difference in taste with my first two batches, but I had major defects in those that might have masked the difference.
I'm also not shooting for a contest winner, just something I can enjoy, with fewer preservatives with an added benefit of being cheaper :h

YES

Thanks for responding

People can develop allergies to the damndest things!!! If you believe this to be the case, I'd consult with a medical professional for verification and potential risks in medicine-alcohol combinations. Just saying:>

Latest posts

Back