WineXpert Sulfites at Bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipigus

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting ready to bottle a batch of Vintners Australian Shiraz. I followed all of the instructions up until the end, except I aged in bulk rather than in the bottle. I added the 1/4 tsp of sulfites that was recommended for aging 6+ months (presumably in bottles though).

I am going to bottle now at 6 months and wanted to ask if I should add any more sulfites? I did read in their FAQ that they recommend that if you bulk age that you only do so for 2-3 months, in which case you do not need to add more sulfites. I'll follow their recommended timings next time, and won't bulk age as long, but am trying to figure out what to do with this batch in the meantime.

I wasn't sure if the fact that I am going to expose it to oxygen again during bottling warrants the need for more sulfites. Does anyone have any suggestions on if I should add any more, and if so, how much?

Thanks!

Bulk aging will help any wine. Depending on when you added k-meta is when to add again.
If you added it 2 months or longer ago then add 1/4 tsp in the bottling bucket.
Rule of thumb:
1/4 tsp every 90 days

If using campden tablets what does that break down too? My Home Wine Makers Companion says 2.5 tablets every 2 months and rack to a new carboy.

1 tablet per gallon
If you make alot buy the Potassium Metabisulfite by the pound. MUCH cheaper than tablets and only need 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons

3.5 tablets is the equivalent to 1/4 tsp with most tablets but some are stronger. If there isnt any lees then dont rack your wine, I test my S02 and 3-4 months is more accurate then 2 months, If you keep adding every 2 months you may over sulfite your wine if n=bulk aging long.

I need to agree with Wade here. You can oversulfite with additions every 2 months especially if you use the large dose of one tablet per gallon. That equates to about 50mg free sulfite addition per gallon. Unless you are racking or stirring it will not lose that much S02 in 2 months. The tablets supply 66 mg each total.

Last edited:
1 tablet = 100ppm per gallon on the k-meta I have. Better read the bottle.

Last edited:
Good advice on reading the bottle. They do vary some, but generally provide about 50 mg FREE S02, not total.

Last edited:
Tom, does "1/4 tsp" mean Teaspoon or Tablespoon? I'm going to be bottling a Merlot soon that I want to age at least a year. Is that 1/4 tsp per gallon, or per 6-gallon batch?

Thanks!

OK, thanks.

1/4 teaspoon per what? Per 6 gallons? Per bottle? Sorry for the dumb questions, but my local retailer just gave me a "what the heck are sulfites" look so trying to get the information. Thanks!

Well, he knows what sulfites are, he just never heard of adding any for aging. Actually, I'm not sure he's heard of aging :D This is farm country, so the local wine shop is pretty small.

Seriously thanks for the help. Been reading a ton on here, great forum.

Latest posts

Back