Sulfite question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeSheetsToTheWind

Skeeter Pee Sommelier
Reaction score
I'll ask this here since I'm about ready to stabilize a batch of skeeter pee, but my question applies to other recipes I suppose.

How important is k meta during stabilization? I find I can taste it in the finished product and I would much rather not use it if it's not necessary.

I'm not trolling or trying to start a huge debate lol. I understand some people don't use any chemicals in their wine ever, the other end of the spectrum won't even take the first group seriously. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I'm very confident about my sanitation, and I'm not worried about spoilage, so is sorbate alone enough to stop refermentation?

The purpose of SO2 is not to prevent refermentation. It is to aid in the prevention of oxidation and spoilage (bacteria growth). Unless you are planning on drinking it all within a few months, I would add SO2 after you do your racking at the end of fermentation.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not opposed to using k meta when neccesary, it's just that I can smell and taste it in my finished product. I believe I've even gotten headaches from it, or at least i think that is what it was from.

I'm glad to learn that sorbate alone will stop refermentation. I'll try this batch without sulfiting as an experiment.

are you using the right dosage? I use the powder form and not more than 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons. normally not a product that adds aroma or taste to wine unless you are really sensitive to it.

1/4 tsp(metabisulphate?) for 5 gallons? Then why do we put 1 campden tab per gallon?

I'm not opposed to using k meta when neccesary, it's just that I can smell and taste it in my finished product. I believe I've even gotten headaches from it, or at least i think that is what it was from.

With Skeeter’s acidity, you would only need very little SO2. As @salcoco said, a quarter teaspoon (1.5 grams) will suffice. This will give you 50ppm SO2 a good portion of which will remain free. This 50ppm compares to theup to 350ppm that commercial wine can have. Can you eat raisins? It is loaded with SO2 (500 ppm). So, if you can eat dried fruit, it’s probably not the SO2 causing you issues, assuming it was used in the correct proportions.

What’s funny is that Skeeter Pee gave me headaches. I couldn’t figure out why, since I can drink wine for days, so I made a batch without SO2, a batch without sorbate and a batch without tannin powder. It was the dang tannin powder that gave me the problem.

I don't think I was over dosing, but I can smell a lot of SO2 in the lemon juice when I start a batch, and I use Kmeta as a sanitizing solution (I do rinse everything) so maybe it sort of adds up, not really sure how it works. As for the raisin question, yeah I can eat raisins all day no problemo...

What’s funny is that Skeeter Pee gave me headaches. I couldn’t figure out why, since I can drink wine for days, so I made a batch without SO2, a batch without sorbate and a batch without tannin powder. It was the dang tannin powder that gave me the problem.

Hmmm... maybe I'm wrong about the SO2. I'm still leaving it out of this batch, you know, for science and all.

So is this solely based on your experiences, or has anybody else had the same happen to them with the tannin powder? Do you know which type of powder you used?

So what do you do now? Just leave it out? Do you substitute with something else?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to make a much loved beverage just a little more enjoyable :dg

Maybe not such a good idea lol

I don't think I was over dosing, but I can smell a lot of SO2 in the lemon juice when I start a batch, and I use Kmeta as a sanitizing solution (I do rinse everything) so maybe it sort of adds up, not really sure how it works. As for the raisin question, yeah I can eat raisins all day no problemo...

Hmmm... maybe I'm wrong about the SO2. I'm still leaving it out of this batch, you know, for science and all.

So is this solely based on your experiences, or has anybody else had the same happen to them with the tannin powder? Do you know which type of powder you used?

So what do you do now? Just leave it out? Do you substitute with something else?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to make a much loved beverage just a little more enjoyable :dg

Maybe not such a good idea lol

so many people speak about in absolute terms that something incorrect almost becomes universally accepted.
“The sulphites in Red wine gives me headaches”
I’m sure there are exceptions, but generally most of those claims are incorrect.
The so2 in wine is a drop in a bucket compared to lunch meat or dried fruit like @NorCal said. And somehow white wine doesn’t give them headaches?
I remember reading about a study regarding this topic , and sure as shit the study showed the headaches remained even with NO so2.
The culprit? Tannins!

Well I've got some googling to do. Is it all tannins? There are quite a few sources for tannins in wine.

I have no idea lol

I just kinda assumed it stemmed from red wines that were overly tannic. And I guess even big bold reds that are balanced would still have ———-ehhh. ya know what, I’ll stick to my original thought.....I have no idea.

There was past data suggesting most of the headaches were caused by biogenic amines; these are produced by certain strains of bacteria during storage without sulfite, often during ML fermentation. Most of the commercial strains of ML bacteria now indicate low or no production of biogenic amines. High PH wines are more susceptible to biogenic amine production.

Latest posts

Back