Quantcast

Sulfite free? Allergy question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Dirtydog420

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Next weekend one of my oldest friends is getting married and teh wedding present idea I had fell through. So I asked if they would want any bottles of wine. He said yes except they cant because she is allergic to sulfites used.

My question is this, can I make a good stable wine that is sulfite free for them?

If so how? I want details...

Thanks
Dirty Dog
 

Dirtydog420

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
So after a length chat with my mother, who works at an Allergy doctors office, as a nurse, she told me that there pretty much is no such thing as a sulfite allergy. There are very rare cases but very few and far between.. However, people being people, they usually argue that they are allergic even if there is absolute proof that they are not allergic and made me promise to not even bring it up with my friend. There is no standard test used by allergy specialists, however tests have been done is a few case, with even fewer positive results...

And discover that there really is no such thing as sulfite free wine since true grape wine creates its own sulfites anyway....

So long story short, I should have researched before I posted and that sulfite allergies are, for the most part, not real...
 

Tom

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2006
Messages
11,356
Reaction score
95
They are RIGHT. Those who get "headaches" get it from the grape and or tannins in the wine.
 

Nubz

Boozer
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
have them over for some reason and get out some wine and tell them it doesnt have any in it lol and see how they react
 

Malkore

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
371
Reaction score
1
Also, home made wine is sulfited to a much lesser concentration than commercial wines (typically), so its likely that your wine wouldn't trigger any sensitivity anyhow.
 

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 12, 2005
Messages
15,188
Reaction score
1,196
Many people are have allergic reactions to sulfur and sulpha drugs. This isn't the same thing as the sulfur dioxide gas we use from the campdens or k-meta. My sister is very allergic to sulfa drugs and swells up a lot if she gets any by mistake. She and her husband make and drink a lot of wine and never worry about the k-meta.
 

Wade E

Premium
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
33,224
Reaction score
269
You could make a wine and use Ascorbic acid instead iof sulfites, it does the same thing almost as good with protecting from oxidation but does not have the same anti-microbial properties.
 

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
88
I would or have tryed as a favor. First of all it will be white wine, red needs to age and sulfits make it possible for wine to last long enough to age. Also I have sterle filterd and have been able to almost completly eliminate sulfits. Another reason for white, sterle filtering strips color and flavor out of reds.I have had 1 batch referment in bottles(bottle bombs away) and after that decided the experiment was over
 

Wade E

Premium
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
33,224
Reaction score
269
Im guessing you have an Enolmatic then right? What micron filter are yo using?
 

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Joined
Aug 18, 2009
Messages
1,897
Reaction score
88
.05 I think, Cant find my glasses and cant read the writing on package without them(its small print not old age)
 

smurfe

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
3,625
Reaction score
11
Many are highly sensitive but not allergic to sulfites. I am one who is sensitive. When I drink wine if I drink more than a couple glasses my nose gets very stuffed up and then I get a headache. I agree with Rich to, I think it is more to do with tannins as the reds will nail me much faster than a white wine will.
 

cpfan

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
4,867
Reaction score
193
I thought the stuffy nose was caused by histamines in the wine. You need to take an anti-histamine before you drink!! :h

Steve
 

smurfe

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2005
Messages
3,625
Reaction score
11
Steve, I had heard the same thing as well and tried that. I actually had stronger effects after trying that. I have a lot of seasonal allergies and when I take an anti-histamine I have the same sensation. It's something I have learned to live with. If your body is producing histamines though it is due to some form of allergy.
 

Wade E

Premium
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
33,224
Reaction score
269
Commercially, white wines have a lot more sulfites in them then red wines as they are more prone to spoiling so if red wine bothers here more then its most likely not the sulfites.
 

Latest posts

Top