Sulfite Calculator Formula (w/curr SO2, pH, Temp, etc)?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we5inelgr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know what the formula (the actual calculation) is behind this:

Sulfite Calculator

I'm looking for the actual formula for use offline.

I have the one where you plug in the desired SO2 level, and gallons of must/wine...but I'm looking for this more complete formula that takes into consideration the current SO2 level, pH and temp, etc.

Thanks.

Here is the formula I derived. It shows the calculation at the bottom; gallons x ppm / 156.25 = grams of SO2. The target ppm needed is based on the chart to the right.

IMG_1348.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this info NorCal!

Regarding 156.25. Is that a constant? If so, what's it in relation to or what does it represent?

Also, what if (for example) the starting must/wine has say...10 ppm SO2. How do you work that (existing SO2) into the equation? Simply subtract it from your target of 50 ppm needed? So in this example, it would be 5 x 40 / 156.25 = 1.28 g. Is that how it would work?

I have different formulas I use:

Imperial (gallons): =(B5*3.785*(B3-B2))/(1000*0.576)

Metric (Liters): =(E5*(E3-E2))/(1000*0.576)

Where:
B2/E2 = current free SO2 number
B3/E3 = desired free SO2 number
B5/E5 = volume of wine/juice

Yields a similar number to Norcals formula, but not exactly the same. Mine yields 1.64g, his 1.60. Neither of these take into account acidity which can affect the numbers but so little I don't bother.

Last edited:
Ok, I found the formula they use (assuming Gallons and not Liters and using Sulfite Powder):

((NetSO2 difference * volume must_wine / 0.57 / 1000) * 3.79 * 0.035) * 28.3495

Now, what shows up down in the "Notes" section is the recommended level of free SO2 based on the type of wine, molecular SO2, pH, and adjustment factor the user entered...is based on this equation (assuming F and not C for temp):

((percentAdjust / 100) + 1) * (desiredMolSO2 * (1 + (10^(WinepH - (1.92 + ((OHbyVolume - 10) * 0.02) + (((WineTemp - 32) * 5 / 9) - 20) * 0.031)))))

If no Alcohol by Volume is given, then 13.8 is assumed.
If no Percent Adjust is given, then 0 (zero) is assumed.
If no desired molecular SO2 is given, then 0.5 is assumed for Red's and 0.8 for Whites.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back