Sulfite at secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
It's interesting to see different methods and slightly different directions.

For the juice I got from a local vinyard: they recommended sulfiting 50ppm as soon as I rack to secondary.
While most kits don't recommend it until after racking out of secondary.

Any plus/minus to either method?
I could see the early addition of sulfites would help protect the wine from any extra headspace in secondary.

A 'secondary' with a kit IS NOT the same as a 'secondary fermentation' with raw juice.

The secondary fermentation means MLF.
In kits 'secondary' just means transferring the liquid to a more air tight vessel.

A 'secondary' with a kit IS NOT the same as a 'secondary fermentation' with raw juice.

The secondary fermentation means MLF.
In kits 'secondary' just means transferring the liquid to a more air tight vessel.

Was for a Sauvingnon Blanc - no MLF.

They recommended sulfate after transferring out of the primary fermentation bucket when wine was <1.004 SG

Could they have misspoke or you misunderstood? Unless I had a good explanation for that process I'd feel uncomfortable doing it before my wine femented to dry. Note, I'm not saying you shouldn't.

Went back to re-read the instructions they gave. It is as I stated except at <1.000SG (not 1.004 as previously noted)

Went back to re-read the instructions they gave. It is as I stated except at <1.000SG (not 1.004 as previously noted)

Sounds to me like they are doing it to inhibit mlf. I prefer to wait until primary is done using small scale hydrometer eyes and ears, cool it good, wait a week or so, them meta to inhibit mlf.

That makes more sense. I'd add that the SG should go unchanged for a few days as well. You want to be sure it is done fermenting before you add the sulfite.

Latest posts

Back