RJ Spagnols Suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olaf

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I typically make meads but have tried a couple kits recently, a winery series old vine zinfandel and the kiwi melon mist kit. The mist is bottled and tastes good over ice, the zin was pitched on 12/31/09, and is still in bulk.

I would like to start my next red kit and thought I would ask what you folks like. I know it depends on personal perference, and a boat load of other factors, but what is your favorite and why?

Thanks,
Olaf

I'm on my 5th kit in 3 months (yes already addicted!). I have only used RJ Spagnols kits so far. I've done Cru Select Old Vine Zin, Brunello, Chilean Malbec and Cellar Classic Barolo Bianco and Riesling. My Zin and Brunello are the oldest and are about 3 months old. I HAD to try both Zin and Brunello at 1 month, and they were not that bad, considering how they were at bottling time. At three months, I'm a big fan of the Brunello... It's a full bodied wine with some decent complexity. I hear good things about it from others as well. If you like a robust red, this is your wine!

As far as the others, I don't have too much info since they're still in process. I must say that upon racking my Barolo Bianco, it tasted GOOD!! I didn't expect anything to taste good at racking time. I was very surprised. I bottle this tomorrow actually.

I haven't tried other kits, but from what I've learned, stick to the Cru Selects for the Reds and you'll probably will be OK with Whites in the Cellar Classic and maybe even the Grand Cru lines.

Olaf:

If you wish to make another high quality red from RJS, choose one from Cellar Classic Winery Series, Cru Select, or En Primeur. I have also heard very good comments about their Grand Cru International reds.

There are two Cru Select kits that I would like to make. Shiraz Viognier (really enjoyed this when we made it 3-4 years ago), and Valpolicella Ripassa (have not made, but have heard some great comments).

Steve

The Valpolicella Ripassa is awesome, mine is about 2 1/2 years old now and almost rules my cellar!

Back