Suggestions from the experts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brainman

Junior
Reaction score
I just started wine making and can see its horrible addictive qualities. I live in alaska so fresh fruit is expensive and fresh grapes non existant, but I'm looking to make mostly fruit wines possible cider's and braggarts as well. I have made an apple Cyser from store bought apple juice and just yeasted up a bannana both 1 gallon batches. I discovered Fred Meyer Light Peaches are simply peaches, pear juice and ascorbic acid and wanted your opinions on recipe plus if I should go 1g or bump it up to 3/5/6 (Got a deal on some carbouys) I'm thinking
3 lbs of peaches per gallon
1 1/2 pounds of golden raisins
acid blend to .65-70
k meta or campden depending on amount made
yeast / nutriens
Sugar to .85 SG
pectin enzyme
Tanin (???)
I understand this is a hobby of patience but I also want to start sampling my wares soon - whats a good wine thats ready for drinking fairly quickly (Allowing me to let the other stuff sit) I spent some time and money getting all the chemicals/equipment together and now am ready to make some wine
Empty carbouys (6 gallon, 2 5 gallon, 4 gallon, 2 1 gallon) plus 2 primary fermentation buckets. The Vintners Harvest stuff looks interesting and reasonably cost effective any other non grape ideas.

as long as its done fermenting you can drink it whatever it is(or even bfor that if you like nasty stuff floating in your glass lol)
but if you wait longer it will be better
doesnt mean you cant drink it earlier

1st WELCOME !
Why dont you start with a kit? I'm sure you can get them in Alaska.
3 lbs of peaches per gallon Use 4# per gallon
1 1/2 pounds of golden raisins
acid blend to .65-70
k meta or campden depending on amount made
yeast / nutriens
Sugar to .85 SG S/B 1.085
pectin enzyme
Tanin (???) Usually not needed in fruit wines.
remember fruit wines take longer than some kits wines. I'm sure you will be contacted from our other members that live in Alaska.
Troy where R U.

Tannin is called for in some fruit wines.. If you use raisins in the recipe there is some tannin in their skins.. Most of my peach/apricot and nectarine wines call for a cup of strong black tea per gallon of wine made.. and those recipes do not use raisins.

Allie

I understand this is a hobby of patience but I also want to start sampling my wares soon - whats a good wine thats ready for drinking fairly quickly (Allowing me to let the other stuff sit).

A strawberry wine is an early drinkable wine. In fact you can drink it as soon as it is in the bottle.........

You can make it from jam which should be fairly cheap even at your end of the world.

Luc

IMO tannins are almost always needed for in fruit wines as most fruits dont contain enough tannins and tannins is just another way of preserving your wine and gaining mouthfeel.

Troys here Been busy, severed my phone line with the backhoe should be back online at home Monday. If you use frozen concentrate, apple or white you can drink it pretty early. It is usually ready to transfer to the secondary(sg 1.00 or so) in 7 days or so. If you really want to drink it early, and I know I'll be shot for this, freeze it first, let it thaw and you'll be okay. But like any wine patience is really the key, drinking a wine "before it's time" is shameful. But I too live here and in the middle of winter when you are broke and it is dark the temptation to drink it early is hard. Make alot, let it age and clear. You wont be dissapointed. Buy cjeap booze and drink it, let your wine alone. It is worth the wait. So now that I have shamed myself admitting I have drank almost all my wine before it got to a bottle, I will close by saying welcome to the forumn and keep on making it. It is indeed addictive hobby, and I blame everyone in here for not stopping me when they had the chance.:h
Troy

Yes Troy we are willing to take the blame for your obsession. We already knew you have been making wine for a while and still dont know how to bottle lol. :)Glad to hear your mom had a good time....still wanting to see some pics pf the wilderness.:r

he just siphons it directly from carboy to mouth Steve lol..

( teasing Troy!.. however, I think it would make a great cartoon illustration...)

Allie

why dont you find an area that you can pick wild fruit there has to plenty of blue berries and blackberries ect.... Here in OKlahoma I picked over $130 worth of black berries to make my wine and grew strawberries to start my first gallon of strawberry wine in over 30 years

Awesome!! I will be doing the same with concord grapes and pears asap.
Allie why dont you draw something for Troy??:r

Steve..

imagine a frozen wasteland with an igloo in the middle of it.. there's a carboy on top of the igloo and a siphoning hose running from it into the igloo..

hehhe

Allie

It takes an alful lot of berries to make wine. If you have a good spot tit would sure be worth it. But here in Alaska, fighting off the mosguitoes and bears just isn't worth it. I was already picking blueberries yestersay. Seems like it's gonna be a great year for blues, cranberries and raspberries. I f I can get a gallon an hour I will indeed try to make some wine out of it. A nice liqeuer made from any of them would be enjoyable as well. Got ran out of the berry batch last year by the bears, so I didnt get to make wine witht htem but sure did have some delicious pancakes. Kinda early to see these berries, usually it's mid to late August. I hope to hell it doesn't mean an early winter, still trying to get over the last one
:)
Troy

Latest posts

Back