Suggestions for Chardonnay, Amarone and Montepulciano buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan_s

Junior
Reaction score
I am going to be doing three wine buckets in the fall. I have been brewing for a while so I'm comfortable with fermentation but new to wines. I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on the three buckets that I am getting. I am getting a Californian Chardonnay, Italian Amarone and an Italian Montepulciano. Can I get some suggestions for the below?

-American or french oak and how much toast? I used 2 spirals in secondary of my yet untasted Chilean Carmenere. Would 2 spirals be suggested for each of these as well? Below are the spirals I used.
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/american-oak-infusion-spirals-medium-toast

-Would a MLF be suggested on these? My LHBS has Viniflora, MBR 31 and VP 94, 66 gal doses of each available. I can also order online if something else is suggested.

-They say the buckets come preadjusted. I am going to get a kit to check TA and adjust with tartaric if needed. What TA range would be suggested for each of these?

-Should I add any extra tannins such as FT Rouge? I haven't purchased any yet so I can get whatever is suggested

-I was planning 75F fermentation temp for the reds and 55F for the chardonnay with the temp probe taped to the exterior of the fermenter and covered in insulation.

-I have urea and diammonium phosphate yeast nutrient and planned on 1 tsp per gallon of must at the beginning of fermentation. Should I add any other nutrients or does that work?

-I have bentonite so I was planning on putting that in primary

I would get more definition from your suppliers as to what "preadjusted " means. it may be counter to your concept of doing MLF.

I would get more definition from your suppliers as to what "preadjusted " means. it may be counter to your concept of doing MLF.

What questions should I ask? I’m not familiar enough to understand how their adjustments affect doing MLF.

have they added sugar and what is the specific gravity.

have the added acid and is it malic acid? what is he PH?

Would they recommend a malolactic fermentation -ie MLF. and what bacteria would they suggest..

Latest posts

Back