Suggestion for my next kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Last week bottled WE Australian Cab & WE Australian Shiraz. This week started WE Stags Leap Merlot & WE Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel. Now I have a couple of empty spots on my shelf. I don't mind spending $150 for a kit, if it makes a really good dry red wine.

Any suggestions? And yes, I would definitely be interested in trying something besides aWE kit.

Thanks.

How about this one? I believe this fits your criteria.

<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">11515 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Amarone - with "Super Pack"

Amarone
is a legendary, assertive wine of the Valpolicella area in Italy.
Unique and distinctive character comes from the addition of dried
grapes during fermentation.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$133.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$133.99 </td>
<td width="5%">
</td></tr></t></table>

Thanks for the tip admiral. I have never tried an "Amarone", so I am a little reluctant to try a kit of it. I should have said in the post above, that my prefered wine styles are:
Merlot, Cab, Zinafandel, &amp; Shiraz.

Buy a bottle (it will be pricey) and see. That was the approach I took before I made my first Amarone. Loved it!
smiley20.gif

I would say either a Mosti Barolo, or CC Red mountian cab.

I have both going right now. And I heard alot of good about them before I bought them.

I was going to suggest the red Mountain Cab but it is unavailable right now.

I think the one we had was a Tomassi or something like that. Bolla also sells Amarone.

I have made the CC Amarone, it is fantastic at a year old and I'll be bottling it this week so I'll get a better taste.
Other recommendations would be
<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">111247 </td>
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Cabernet - Shiraz - with "Crushed Grape pack'

Yakima
Cabernet and Syrah (Shiraz) are often compared to the great wines of
Australia, but they are also recognized as having their own, perhaps
more sophisticated charm. </td></tr></t></table>
<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">111245 </td>
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel - with "Crushed Grape pack"

Exhibits
silken layers of multidimensional delight. It starts with an up-front
core of blackberry and dark cherry aromas, followed by suggestions of
blueberry, raspberry, cranberry and dried plum. Undertones are of
chocolate, almond and exotic spice. </td></tr></t></table>
<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">140285 </td>
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

South African Shiraz

Fermentation on a Crushed Grape Pack of Stellenbosch Shiraz
grapes ensures that the wine shows heightened layers of
blackberry, boysenberry, fig, and plum, followed by notes of
cocoa, chocolate, and coffee. It subtly shows the trademark
black pepper note common to all Syrah and Shiraz.</td></tr></t></table>
<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">140207 </td>
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Walla Walla Cabernet Merlot - with "Crushed grape pack"

The
Walla Walla appellation is very special. Its outstanding reds were what
first put Washington on the world wine map. The wines are now grouped
with world standard reds from Bordeaux, Napa and Sonoma. Walla Walla
Cabernet Sauvignons and Merlots consistently rank in top 10 lists of
the finest from the Americas.</td></tr></t></table>
I have not made any from the RJS Winery series but understand they are outstanding as well. Mosti also has some terrific wines, look at the All Juice
Series and the All Juice Masters. Also if you have not ordered any of the Limited Release, Restricted Quantity, and Meglioli Kits will be terrific, but you'll need to get your name on a waiting list if you have not already ordered any.

I will look into those.

Here's something a little peculiar; in the RJS section of the website, the "Winery Series" list the kits as 16L, 4.2 gallons:http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListCCWS.asp

16 litres / 4.2 US Gallons, Yields 23 litres / 6 US Gallons. Ready to bottle in 8 weeks.

The En Primeur section is listed as 18L, 42. gallons:http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdListEP.asp

18 litres / 4.2 US Gallons, Yields 23 litres / 6 US Gallons. Ready to bottle in 8 weeks.

I believe that the 16L and 18L is the amount of juice concentrate in the kit. You are getting more juice in the 18L kit and will therefore need to add less water (that's why those cost a little more too). In all you will end up with the same amound of liquid after you have topped your primary to the 6 gallon ridge.

Melissa

The fastest thing to do would be to call George. My understanding is the En Primeur is the top of the line. I always forget about them, and the only RJS kits I've made in the past couple of years are the RQs, but have heard others say a lot of very good things about the winery series which is why I suggested you look into them. I'm sure once eveyone checks in tonight they'll chime in.

Allen,

I was quite impressed with the Mosti Mondiale Masters AllJuice Outback Shiraz kit. It's shaped up nicely at the two year mark.

- Jim

You can't go wrong with any of the CC Showcase Reds with a grape pack.

The MM All Juice reds are outstanding as well. The MM Renaissance line is another quality line of kit. Pick something you like and go for it!

I spotted an Amarone this weekend at Trader Joes (if you have one close by) for a paltry $16.99 a bottle. Probably not as good as one of the $60 bottles but at least you won't be out big bucks if you don't like it. Might also make a good top off wine.

Latest posts

Back