Suggested finish SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Sav Blanc and a Pinot Grigio from Chilean juices going now and both currently fermented dry. During sampling at rackings, I have to say both taste very good already but I was considering back sweeting some of it and wondered what is a good average finished SG.

Looking for suggestions, wanted it to end semi-sweet.

Doug, I've asked this question of many and I would always get whatever you enjoy. Personal preference. My Sauv. Blanc I sweetened to 1.002 and my Riesling to 1.014 You may wish to do that for the Grigio.

I've often thought about buying a few bottles and taking a s.g. reading.

Could you do 2 batches of each? Maybe half at 1.006 and add 8 ounces of sugar per gallon and make the other half at 1.014

That's pretty much what I wanted to do. I was going to leave some of it dry then back sweeten some but I didn't want to deviate to far from "norm". I understand that wine is made for how we like it, but having a "standard" would be helpful also. I may take your suggestion and pick up a bottle of each on the way home and check SG.

I find it odd that there isn't some sort of standardization for what some traditional wines should be. You would never sweeten a Merlot, yet not sweeten a Riesling. Could be another section on here, what do you sweeten your traditional wines to?

Here is the key to back sweetening.

Back sweeten to YOUR TASTE.

Once you like it write it down (in a LOG)! Now the next time you make it they will match

I've taken the SG on store-bought wines that I liked the sweetness of, and then matched that. I normally like very dry wines, but a made a strawberry wine that was 'blah' until I brought it up to 1.004. All the aroma and taste of the strawberries came back!

Yes. Backsweetening a dry wine will bring out some flavor especially in Strawberry. For more intense flavor make a f-pac.

Lots of weaker fruits like Strawberries and the like really need sweetening.

Latest posts

Back