Quantcast

Sugar Price -- Wow!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
In years past $12.50 for a 25lb bag at Costco was the price that was hard to beat. I picked up six 25lbs bags from Walmart at $8.78 each. Wow!

It did qualify for free shipping (is there profit after shipping 150lbs of anything?), but I had to do some shopping there, so I picked it up.

Free fruit + 14.6c sugar + 9c a cork + 2c for yeast and maybe ~4c for everything else -- my cost per bottle of wine is now around 30c a bottle. :r

I've now 48 gallons of Apple wine well on its way. Other fruits and berries will be ready to pick out of the wilderness in about 6 or so weeks. Yeah, Baby!!!

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In years past $12.50 for a 25lb bag at Costco was the price that was hard to beat. I picked up six 25lbs bags from Walmart at $8.78 each. Wow!

It did qualify for free shipping (is there profit after shipping 150lbs of anything?), but I had to do some shopping there, so I picked it up.

Free fruit + 14.6c sugar + 9c a cork + 2c for yeast and maybe ~4c for everything else -- my cost per bottle of wine is now around 30c a bottle. :r

I've now 48 gallons of Apple wine well on its way. Other fruits and berries will be ready to pick out of the wilderness in about 6 or so weeks. Yeah, Baby!!!
Now that is one heck of a cost per bottle! I buy grapes $.75-$1.00 per pound, takes 3 pounds per bottle, so I’m 10x your total cost of the bottle before I leave the starting line.

CK55

Banned
Reaction score
I have everything I need already only thing I really buy when I make wine is yeast and the corks. Other than that I have everything else. So I typically am in it maybe $5.00 a batch.

Jal5

Reaction score
I bought 10# sugar yesterday for $4.69 at Costco. I thought that was pretty good.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Now that is one heck of a cost per bottle! I buy grapes $.75-$1.00 per pound, takes 3 pounds per bottle, so I’m 10x your total cost of the bottle before I leave the starting line.
Yea some of us are lucky. I have enough grapes in my backyard to get me around 50 bottles a year, plus I get enough free grapes from my relatives (all commercial growers in Niagara region) to ensure I have more than I can handle. We pay for most of the fruit we use for non-grape wines, though we usually get a big load of free peaches too, enough to make a 5 gallon batch.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
I have access to Oregon Grapes on my property, the neighbors and the nearby campgrounds (The bears and the deer get the ones in the wilderness). Not enough to make a 6 gallon batch, so I freeze them and add enough the following year. IMO, the Oregon Grapes are the very very best wine I can make. The wine is almost ink in the color depth, and the taste is dry and smooth.

I'm all about Rhubarb (limited), apples (unlimited) and elderberries (unlimited but a PITA to process), and neighbors from Washington load me up heavy with Apricots and sometimes Peaches. Huckleberries are plentiful but the picking is an intensive chore, so I save them for pancakes and muffins.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
I've been buying my sugar at Aldi's Correction it's now $1.89 / 4 lbs $1.41 / 4lb bag. (That would be $7.15 / 25lbs) Not quite the same but has been this price for a couple of years here. Easy amount to deal with given moisture changes and space requirements for a 25 lb bag.

Last edited:

willie

Reaction score
Wife bought 10# bag of cane sugar from Rural King yesterday for $3.95. We don't think that is too bad of a price for pure cane sugar.

Will

Latest posts