Success! (at least to my taste)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstrick96

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my most recent small wine batches finished fermenting yesterday. I did an apple wine from organic apple juice and some white grape wine from Welches juice. I used a Red Star wine yeast.

The apple wine fermented dry to 0.990 and the white grape juice wine fermented to 0.991. I actually like the flavor of both of them. I found that chilling both of them improves the flavor. The ABV is about 13 to 14% because I added sugar. Doesn't taste hot at all.

One thing that is necessary to understand, though, is that I have traveled quite a bit and my palate has "broadened" quite a bit! When I was traveling, I deliberately sought out food and drink the "most Americans would not like!" Even so, my wife likes this wine, once she added some Splenda to it! This wine is different from expensive wines, but I enjoy it just as much.

I tried back sweetening the grape wine and didn't like the "artificial" taste. I like it "bone dry" better.

So, I know I can produce a simple wine without a lot of fuss. Now, onward and (hopefully) upward!

That’s great, congratulations! Definitely make wine you like (and what the Mrs likes) as you’re the ones drinking it. Looks like you have a great starting point to go from! Broadening your experiences will be super helpful to knowing what you like and can try to emulate in yours (Having the end in mind at the beginning). Nice job!

Latest posts

Back