Substance on corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradowsk

Reaction score
I have some bottles of mead aging in my cellar since May, and yesterday I noticed a few bottles have an amber-colored sap-like substance on the exterior of the cork (see photo). The substance is highly viscous (like the sap of a pine tree) and lacks any distinguishable smell or taste. The corks are from my LHBS and are the agglomerated type.

Any ideas what this could be? I have a theory but I din't want to bias anyone yet.

Attachments

• 20190817_230842.jpg
    20190817_230842.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
@cmason1957 I don't soak the corks, I just dip them in water right before corking to make it easier.

@Rice_Guy I'll check the solubility of the substance later today.

My theory was maybe the pressure didn't equalize after corking before I laid the bottles on their side. Thus, there would be positive pressure in the bottle forcing the mead out through the cork (and maybe taking some glue/resin along with it). I'm probably just going to recork these bottles to be safe, but am still interested in finding out what it is.

taste the stuff and report back...
I use agglomerated corks, and soak them a few hours in water before insertion, with some campden tabs- no juicy stuff seeping out of corks.

My theory was maybe the pressure didn't equalize after corking . . . I'm probably just going to recork these bottles to be safe said:
I would not recork; theory, a cork is about 10 ml of volume, add 3/4 inch of ullage and you are up to 19 ml. To saturate 750 ml of water takes 4.5 to 5 ml of pure oxygen. Air is about 20% therefore you would almost saturate the wine with oxygen a second time.
What ever is in the cork has mixed with the wine/ come out of the wine , , what do you gain?

Latest posts

Back