Substance on corks

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

tradowsk

Reaction score
I have some bottles of mead aging in my cellar since May, and yesterday I noticed a few bottles have an amber-colored sap-like substance on the exterior of the cork (see photo). The substance is highly viscous (like the sap of a pine tree) and lacks any distinguishable smell or taste. The corks are from my LHBS and are the agglomerated type.

Any ideas what this could be? I have a theory but I din't want to bias anyone yet.

Attachments

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like their seeping a bit.

Edit to add: no flavor? Maybe glue?

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible you soaked your corks, even just a little while, before insertion. I had the same thing happen, back when I soaked corks, particularly the agglomerated kind.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
If someone brought this to the lab my first test would be is it water soluble (likely plant/ bee origin) or is it solvent soluble (possibly a glue or resin).

tradowsk

Reaction score
@cmason1957 I don't soak the corks, I just dip them in water right before corking to make it easier.

@Rice_Guy I'll check the solubility of the substance later today.

My theory was maybe the pressure didn't equalize after corking before I laid the bottles on their side. Thus, there would be positive pressure in the bottle forcing the mead out through the cork (and maybe taking some glue/resin along with it). I'm probably just going to recork these bottles to be safe, but am still interested in finding out what it is.

Kantuckid

Reaction score
taste the stuff and report back...
I use agglomerated corks, and soak them a few hours in water before insertion, with some campden tabs- no juicy stuff seeping out of corks.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
My theory was maybe the pressure didn't equalize after corking . . . I'm probably just going to recork these bottles to be safe said:
I would not recork; theory, a cork is about 10 ml of volume, add 3/4 inch of ullage and you are up to 19 ml. To saturate 750 ml of water takes 4.5 to 5 ml of pure oxygen. Air is about 20% therefore you would almost saturate the wine with oxygen a second time.
What ever is in the cork has mixed with the wine/ come out of the wine , , what do you gain?

Group Builder