Stupid!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country

Reaction score
It was my turn to make a really dumb mistake last night, you might even call it stupid! I removed the airlock from a carboy of wine in the clarifying stage and forgot to put it back it. I found my mistake today. The stopper was still installed so there was about a 1/4 inch hole letting the outside in. This went on for about 24 hrs. So thankful that I happed to be messing around with those carboys again today for no good reason.

The wine is a WE Sangiovese that I had clarified and topped up a few days ago (2/17) so luckily I had just added metabisulphite. My gut feeling is to add 1/4 tsp more but I will wait for some advise.

Thanks.

If it were mine I'd simply put the airlock back on and forget it ever happened. Even if well degassed the wine might very well still be giving off some CO2.

I've done it a few times to no ill effect. You should be fine.

Oxidation is much like rust. You expose some uncoated metal to water and oxygen and it will rust but it won't visibly (perceptibly) rust in a day or a month. You might not see any evidence for months and months and then see just a trace.

As others said, you should be fine. You might do more harm than good in trying to "fix" it by overcompensating. I can't imagine there will be any noticeable ill effect from that short a period of time. :)

Latest posts

Back