Stupid Beginner Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OmglolCrissee

Junior
Reaction score
When starting out making wine is there a specific temperature the room should be the most ideal place space wise for me to make it would be my porch but it gets very warm like 30-40 Celsius and from what I’ve seen on google is yeast dies in heat basically what I wanna know is what temperature should wine be made in

You will have better retention of fruit aroma at lower temperatures. Generally speaking less than 10C / 50F is not practical, it will ferment but may take 6 weeks to get through the primary.
20C / 68F is convenient for many of us and the yeast like it.
30C / 97F is acceptable for yeast growth. You may finish primary in 2 days, and require extra nutrient management since the yeast is metabolizing fast. This may cause off flavors. Reds will tolerate 30C because there are background flavor notes that are not volatile. Fruity aroma will be lost at high temperature.
40C should be avoided. Some yeast strains will not tolerate 40. Off flavors are a risk. Stuck fermentation is a risk.

temperature cycles are hard on yeast and should be avoided.
NOTE if you are measuring air/ room temperature the must temperature typically is 1C/ 2F higher. Fermentation is exothermic.

When starting out making wine is there a specific temperature the room should be the most ideal place space wise for me to make it would be my porch but it gets very warm like 30-40 Celsius and from what I’ve seen on google is yeast dies in heat basically what I wanna know is what temperature should wine be made in
each yeast has different tolerances , EC-1118 is most forgiving, as well as K1V-1116, others they say are more flavorful, but i double to triple my fruits and berries, and have zero problems with my flavors, heaver fruits and berries i double my fruit and berries, my lighter flavor fruits and berries i triple the amount of fruits and berries,
Dawg

EC-1118 is most forgiving, as well as K1V-1116, others they say are more flavorful

I'll double down that V1116 is less flavorful than other yeast strains. I split a batch of concord between D47 and V1116 and was amazed how much more fruity the D47 batch was!

You will have better retention of fruit aroma at lower temperatures. Generally speaking less than 10C / 50F is not practical, it will ferment but may take 6 weeks to get through the primary.
20C / 68F is convenient for many of us and the yeast like it.
30C / 97F is acceptable for yeast growth. You may finish primary in 2 days, and require extra nutrient management since the yeast is metabolizing fast. This may cause off flavors. Reds will tolerate 30C because there are background flavor notes that are not volatile. Fruity aroma will be lost at high temperature.
40C should be avoided. Some yeast strains will not tolerate 40. Off flavors are a risk. Stuck fermentation is a risk.

temperature cycles are hard on yeast and should be avoided.
NOTE if you are measuring air/ room temperature the must temperature typically is 1C/ 2F higher. Fermentation is exothermic.
What indicators are there, indicating you need extra nutrient management?

The main issue is that the yeast start to canabilize the lees with the production of sulfur/ rotten egg smell. You could get the fermentation to finish without adding nutrients but never would have a clean aroma.
What indicators are there, indicating you need extra nutrient management?

Back