Stuck with a Moose in the House

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shirt came from the dump. I am a hard core Packers fan. Who said I was roughing it. I am living it!!!! When I came here 30 yrs ago I lived way out in th wildrness. 20 miles off the road. No electricity, phone plumbimg, and then we didn't even know what the internet was. I got my school books from aplane flying over and kicking the bag out of the side.

Even then we never considered it roughing it. Just the way it was/is. Even today, there are lots and lots of people here who decide to live that subsistence lifestyle. one of the last placs in the country a person can still choose to live that way.

Sure beats the city.

Still, you flatter me!!! Come visit. Leanne and I would love to see all visitors. I have extra sleeping bags in the storage building!!!!!

Last edited:
"I have extra sleeping bags in the storage building!!!!! "

Is that the building in the photo?

All I have to do is tell Bob the fishing there is good and we are so there. Since the oil spill here in the gulf, he's been really buggin. We live near Pensacola. In other words, you just might be seeing us soon--well, it would take 2 weeks just 2 get there.

The fishing is outrageous here. Someone just caught a 350 halibut in Seward the other day. Yikes.

I am a bunny hugger at heart! I am SO SO sorry about that situation down there. I am trully speechless. I really dont know what to say. I really cry everyday when I hear of it.

We will save you and Bob a seat around the campfire. Come on up.

PM me. I will send you my email. I am serious if you are.

I discussed it last night with the man...he thinks ive gone nuts. If either of us end up losing our jobs (you know, the economy thingie) and we need to default on our mortgage or car payment, you will be seeing us it sounds like! You will know when we are coming...National City Mortgage nor BB&T bank will know, though. Checked your eco stats up there...very nice, any plenty of jobs to boot. It won't be tomorrow, Troy, but you need to know you are in our thoughts. Very tempting to be able to fly under the radar...Alaska is certainly the underground!

I discussed it last night with the man...he thinks ive gone nuts. If either of us end up losing our jobs (you know, the economy thingie) and we need to default on our mortgage or car payment, you will be seeing us it sounds like! You will know when we are coming...National City Mortgage nor BB&T bank will know, though. Checked your eco stats up there...very nice, any plenty of jobs to boot. It won't be tomorrow, Troy, but you need to know you are in our thoughts. Very tempting to be able to fly under the radar...Alaska is certainly the underground!

You would be very welcome but let us get past the honeymoon period first. LOL.

Wow!!
How did I miss this moose story? That must have really been something.

Its a wonder it would fit through the door.

I've camped many times in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, (large wilderness area between Minnisota and Canada...Awesome place) and I have a couple good stories of bears coming into camp,.......but a moose walking into your house....WOW

The bears in BWCA are only black bears, and most times scare off pretty easy, except for this one stubborn one, who was "false charging" us as we were trying to scare him away. They say you are supposed to just stand there and they will stop short....we didn't wait around to find out.

You don't have to outrun the bear,,,,, just the slowest person in your party. LOL

Two guys were out fishing.

Bear came up and growled.

The one guy sat down and dug out his sneakers from the pack.

His buddy said, "hey aman, you cant out run that bear"

He calmly said, "I know, but I can out run you"

LOL

But that s true, you cant outrun them.

There was a story last week about a guy in Anchorag, on a bicyclye got nailed by a grizzly bear in the bike trail!!!! Still beats living in the city!

You might be able to fin d it on this link. I know on the main page there is a sub folder for bear stuff that happens right in the city.

www.adn.com

Remeber Anchoragge is 350 miles away and there is a huge mountain range between us. Mt. McKinley is in that range. It is the tallest one in N America, and I think the 3rd tallest inthe world. Not sure. I dont climb mountains, to busy staying away from the bears.

LMAO! I almost forgot I posted this thread.

What an experience that was.

Earlier this fall I was walking my bike home up a long hill on the final mile home. It was pitch black,(I can see in the dark) fairly well, then I seen a moose off to the side. I could barely see it, but could make out the ears. I was held at bay for almost 30 minutes before it let me past.

I bought a headlamp the next day!!

LOL again.

:)

"I VERY slowly reached for my beer with one hand"

"And so I drank one more sip of my beer"

"I was safe!!! However my beer was still inside"

Troy sure has his priorities straight eh? :D

Shortly after we moved to Columbus (from Anchorage) my son was in a class discussion about something (can't remember). his contribution to the discussion was telling everyone recess got canceled once because of Moose on the play ground. The teacher did NOT believe him. So the next day...He showed her!! (this was actually our back yard but it proved his point)

Moose.jpg

LOL. I am there!! A few years back I was cooking t a restaurant and dumping the lettuce scraps in my yard hoping to attract the moose for a nice picture.

I knew it was dumb as hell so I stopped. A few days later the moose showed up and was pissed I had no more treats.

She chased me up my porch and I got in the cabin and she stood on the porch and wouldnt leave.

I called the boss and he didn't believe me. I was going to be late for work.

But, I, too, had taken some pictures. So he gave me a pardon and bought me a couple cold ones.

LOL

For those who are reading moose are VERY vicious when they feel threatened. they can be as docile as can be, then all of a sudden....BAM!!!!
I was out shoveling once when I happened to look up and found a moose was not 20 yards away from me, starring at me. Man I froze in my tracks!!!!! I didn't know what to do. I just slowly stepped back towards my house. I just about pee'd my pants I was so scared :) That was about 2 weeks after that moose trample that poor Asian man at UAA.

I am not certain, but I believe the asian guy was tossing rocks at it.
I lived in the "bush" for several years and infortunately have come pretty close to these Moose. Most of the time they will run away, but sometimes, especially if they have babies, they will stomp your ***. Guess when it comes down to it, it depends how you talk to them.

Now, run into a bear with babies and you may be in a bad spot. I was going to say fck'd good. If a bear gets you on the ground, it is going to most likely end up bad for you. So all you tuff guys and those with all these high powered automatic weapons still dont have a chance when a 800 pound bear is on you snarling and drooling on you as he bites into your skull and rips you apart with 8 inch nails. The best defense is a shotgun slug, and then you want to wait till it is lik 40 feet from you. If you miss, you are pretty much scrooged. A 30 caliber semi auto isnt going to help you against an 800 pound animal whos intent is to f you up. Plus there heart rate is way different, so even after its dead it is still going, It will still F you up.:dg

Big guns mean nothing when being in the woods in some other animals home.

Knowing what you are entering is the best defense. But sometimes it doesnt always matter.

STILL beats living in the city!

Latest posts

Back