Stuck my first time out...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcane

Junior
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm in the primary fermentation phase of my 1st wine kit (I went with a higher end Glad Hatter Merlot that comes with crushed grape skins) and I seem to be stuck. Let me explain...

I started on the 1st of May at SG 1.090. By day 10 SG was 1.000. I've been stirring and testing daily because of the fresh fruit. I got busy this weekend didn't stir or check it at all for 2 days and now, on day 13, it's only at SG 0.998. I thought, "Great! I'm ready to rack to secondary!" But wanted to wait another day just to make sure it was done - the instructions say it has to be under 1.000 AND unchanged for 2 days - when I noticed the temp had dropped to 19C. My son says he noticed it was 19 yesterday, too.

My research says to warm it up and let it go for another 2-3 days. But I'm wondering - is it really stuck (because it got cold)? And should I let it go for a bit longer? Or is it at that stage where I should rack it anyway?

Thanks for your advice!

2 weeks on the lees and below 1.000 is just fine to rack. SG may still fall a little further in your secondary. Always follow kit instructions and you won't go wrong.

Welcome to this forum, Kcane. I don't think your wine is stuck. A specific gravity (SG) of .998 is pretty close to all the fermentable sugars being converted to alcohol. The SG of water is 1.000. A stuck fermentation would occur if you still have a significant amount of sugar but which for one reason or another the yeast is no longer converting into alcohol. Looks like your yeasts have done all the real heavy lifting. Not sure if you are going to get an SG much below .996 , if that.

Latest posts

Back