stuck fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
pressed 21 gal. of must on saturday added camden tabs. Split into two batches one in a 5 gal. fermenter and 2nd in a 16 gal. ferm. pitched yeast on saturday and the 5 gal. going like crazy and the 16 gal nothing, i tryed a yeast starter tonight using suger, water and the must in 3 qts. got could fermetation and put back in the org. fermenter and again nothing. what is going on and how much time do i have left to get this started.

Have taken an SG reading to confirm nothing is happening? How much yeast to you use in the 16 gallon primary? 1 packet would not have been enough - i am assuming that you used at least 2 - for 16 gallons probably could have used 3 since each packet is for up to 5 gallons.

and what's the temp of the 16 gal?
seems like a larger amt. would be harder to keep at perfect temp...

What was the starting SG - and what is the SG now? That will be a true indication if anything is happening.

Also - could you post the recipe/steps you did?

well I got it started, like a doctor trying to get a heart beat. I found a great recipe that works very well. Start with one cup of water, one teaspoon of suger, one teaspoon of nutrient and one yeast package and a quarter cup of the must, wait about 15 minutes until yeast becomes active, add another quarter cup of must and wait for yeast for to activate again, continue until you have one cup of must and one cup of water and the yeast is active each time, add to must. The whole process takes about 2 hours and there you have it.

A yeast starter is always the best way to get something fermented and also verifies that the yeast is good before even starting your wine. You should always make a healthy yeast starter when making beer!

i read the title and thought you were in the house.....stuck having nothing to do but ferment..instead this was about a stuck fermentation ;)

sorry for the miss spell, however I have been stuck in the house fermenting before.

just funnin w ya....but one issue that may be semantics...if you are fermenting..it is a good thing...your never 'stuck' fermenting ;)

Latest posts

Back