stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Callow

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I racked raspberry from the primary to a carboy. At that time it was 1.020. Now it's at 1.010 and hasn't moved all week. Also, it's very thick looking. You can tell the pulp that made its way out of the bag is suspended in the solution.
What can I do?

What was the starting SG?

I would start out by giving it a very good stir, and possibly using a very small amount of yeast nutrient.

What is the temp you are fermenting at?

That can hinder your fermentation as well - if not - do like goodfella suggested.

If that doesn't work - then get lavlin EC-1118 - this yeast is designed for stuck fermentations.

2 weeks ago I racked raspberry from the primary to a carboy. At that time it was 1.020. Now it's at 1.010 and hasn't moved all week. Also, it's very thick looking. You can tell the pulp that made its way out of the bag is suspended in the solution.
What can I do?
Could i ask why you would rack off the primary so soon,before finishing fermenting?Never made raspberry wine before,but i wouldn't rack off primary unless complete.What kind off yeast did you use?

Many people rack out of primary before fermentation is complete but I dont strictly for this reason as you leave too much viable yeast behind sometimes. I yank the fruit out at about 7-10 days after starting depending on the temps and then I would just put under airlock after sg got down to around 1.020 and still stir every other day at that point so the yeast doesnt get burried under sediemnt. As far as your wine goes now if the temp is below 70* then get it back up to around 75* and stir it. If after a gfew days after getting the temp up its still not doing anything then either live with that or rack your wine onto the slurry of another wine that has completed.

Wade, would it be wrong to suggest if it doesnt go to splash rack it?

The first time I ran into this problem, it was you who suggested "splashing" it, and it came back to life almost immediately.

Yes splash is OK but in the primary. I would stir vigorously and add energizer and/or nutrient

Stirring vigorous to get lots of air in there is basically the same thing with just a littkle less air and at this point in the game you dont want excessive amounts of air as it can oxidise your wine. if you gad sulfite in there and were having a sulfur problem splash racking would be the absolute way to go.

Latest posts

Back