Stuck Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jminmanlaw

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all. First time on here and only been making wine for a few months but I have run into an issue: the fermentation in my two carboys have stalled. I have Pinot Noir in a secondary fermenter that has all but stopped and a Cabernet Franc in a primary that is slowing a bit too much for where the SG is.

I’m in Ohio and I’m thinking the temperature in my basement has gotten too low and the yeast have gone dormant. (A temp check inside both carboys is showing 62 F.)

I have my carboys off the floor and on a pallet and I’ve covered with a blanket for the last week and it hasn’t really helped. Any suggestions or perhaps some things not to do to get my wines started again?

Do the heating fermwraps work?
Stirring up the wine?
I’ve read adding yeast nutrient is bad at this point, true?
Would reracking help?
Does the yeast going dormant effect the the finished product?

Thanks for any help.
Jason

My basement in the Cleveland area is 68F so I use heat belts. If the yeast max temp is 80F the I plug the heat belt in to a 120v outlet. If the yeast max temp calls for 75F I put the belt on a timer, 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. They work.

Definitely more info needed, but I wanted to point out that my basement is approximately 60* right now, and I have a kit happily bubbling away.
unlike most i only keep two types of yeast, EC-1118 & K1V-1116 both have a very high ABV, but just start with a SSG for lower ABV and both are workhorses, even in lower degrees,,,,
Richard

unlike most i only keep two types of yeast, EC-1118 & K1V-1116 both have a very high ABV, but just start with a SSG for lower ABV and both are workhorses, even in lower degrees,,,,
Richard
Yup, I use EC1118 almost exclusively in my country fruit wines, the stuff just works. The FWK I have going now has RC212 and it doesn't seem to mind the lower temperature either - if anything, it might help slow down that racecar!

60*? Wow that’s pretty darn good
It might be 61* but certainly no higher. Unheated space in an old farmhouse. What I have noticed is primary fermentation just takes a bit longer. I tried heating pads, blankets, etc. and it didn't really seem to improve taste any. I should point out that I haven't tried any of the extravagant yeast varieties either - that certainly could change things!

It might be 61* but certainly no higher. Unheated space in an old farmhouse. What I have noticed is primary fermentation just takes a bit longer. I tried heating pads, blankets, etc. and it didn't really seem to improve taste any. I should point out that I haven't tried any of the extravagant yeast varieties either - that certainly could change things!

I was going to ask what yeast are you using

The current batch in primary is a FWK Forte Merlot. It came with RC212. If you've ever made one of their kits, I'm sure you already know they'd probably ferment in nuclear winter! 🤪

I also made batches of raspberry/rhubarb and rhubarb in the last couple of months. Both of those I used EC1118.

The current batch in primary is a FWK Forte Merlot. It came with RC212. If you've ever made one of their kits, I'm sure you already know they'd probably ferment in nuclear winter! 🤪

I also made batches of raspberry/rhubarb and rhubarb in the last couple of months. Both of those I used EC1118.

Good choice. The RC212 can be finicky.

Wow! You are all way faster in response than most boards I’ve seen. I apologize for not commenting back quickly. I will try to answer questions in order.

1. Our SG in the Pinot was 1.42 when we moved from primary fermenter to secondary. It’s now 1.32 and it’s been 22 days.

2.D7B167CF-A61C-4B08-B9D0-19184529A366.jpeg
this is the yeast we’ve used. this was the nutrient:
8F3D0A7B-25FB-495D-BB44-40409B51D5D7.jpeg

thanks all for your help. Jason

Wow! You are all way faster in response than most boards I’ve seen. I apologize for not commenting back quickly. I will try to answer questions in order.

1. Our SG in the Pinot was 1.42 when we moved from primary fermenter to secondary. It’s now 1.32 and it’s been 22 days.

2.View attachment 84888
this is the yeast we’ve used. this was the nutrient:
View attachment 84889

thanks all for your help. Jason

Do you mean 1.042?

@jminmanlaw, we have no life other than making wine and drinking wine. ;)

When posting SG, use 3 digits to the right of the decimal to avoid confusion, e.g., 1.040, not 1.04.

What temperature is the room at, and how much does if vary? Why did you rack at 1.042? That's fairly high. [If the instructions said to rack after 10 days (or whatever), that explains the reason.]

You will be peppered with a lot of questions -- don't stress over that -- we need the details to diagnose your problem.

Latest posts

Back