Stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Richmond

VINO412
Reaction score
Hello fellow winemakers,

decided to try a small side batch Cab/Merlot blend 1 lug each. Crushed, 24 brix, sulfited waited 12 hours and pitched RC212 Fermentation started a day later, Punched cap at least twice a day and all was going great until cap fell 3 days ago at 6 Brix. Should I press and let finish fermenting in a carboy or pitch champagne yeast in primary.
Thanks in advance for any help

JIm

You measuring your Brix° with a refractometer?

If so, Alcohol present will skew readings. And at 6% Brix you were more likely closer to dry than ya think. Hydrometer will give true reading for Specific gravity which is likely under 1.000 at this point
First time using a refractometer. i guess i'm a lot dumber than I thought. LOL I'll check hydrometer tonight, Thank you

First time using a refractometer. i guess i'm a lot dumber than I thought. LOL I'll check hydrometer tonight, Thank you

Lol. Well it’s not exactly common knowledge type stuff. I made wine for years but wasn’t until utilizing this forum that I started actually learning. Good luck!

Checked after work yesterday with Hydrometer and of course it was .990 .
Pressed last night and all looks great.
Thank you for all the help

Latest posts

Back