Stuck Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumon

Junior
Reaction score
It's been more than a month since I started my grape wine. But SG is showing 1.07 now and the after taste of my wine is like yeast. I think yeast hasn't been used properly . So what can I do now? Bit frustrated . Is there anyway to restore it perfect state?

It's been more than a month since I started my grape wine. But SG is showing 1.07 now and the after taste of my wine is like yeast. I think yeast hasn't been used properly . So what can I do now? Bit frustrated . Is there anyway to restore it perfect state?

Maybe, after a lot more info is exchanged. What kind of wine / recipe? What yeast? What temps are you / have you maintained? Did you use a nutrient to feed the yeast? That sorta stuff.

Having said that, most wine tastes funky and yeasty when it’s young, time generally works wonders.

I suspect its still fermenting very slowly, give it another month, or so, most of mine take 6 to 8 weeks to finish fermenting completely. A give away is if it is still cloudy looking and as you mentioned it tasting yeasty, try and leave it undisturbed for another four to six weeks, if you find you are getting impatient, start a second batch and possibly a third (thats what i do) its important to let wine age, one of the primary skills I think is patience and if needs be planning, when to start future batches, depending on your goal ofc, but, if you drink it before it is fully ready, or, expect too much you may loose interest, there is a learning curve and for me personally the hardest bit is patience, others may disagree, but, I think it is the most important skill you can aquire when making wine, it can also be quite hard to do.

rumon following on from my above post if you think it has stuck, try adding a bit more yeast, or, making a starter bottle and adding it, what ever you do, do not throw in tons of yeast like a friend of mine did, just the recommended amount, yeast is a living organism and will flourish in the correct enviroment, it does tend to slow down a bit near the end in any case, as the enviroment becomes more harsh as fermentaion progresses, but, i would tend to go with my first reply that it is still fermenting very slowly. With wine, time is a wonderful thing.

Back